Skip to main content

Hike Forest Hike!

Renee and I went to Garland Mountain for a run today, a place where we had ran a few times before, and also had done a few races.  This trail is primarily used for horseback riding but the Parks Department has agreed to allow hikers and by proxy, runners, to use this beautiful gem of a trail-system.
Welp, it turns out that it is now illegal to run there, as of January 2015. Yes, one can hike on the trail but running? Nyet!  They literally have posted on their sign, "No running."
We were made aware of this fact by two people who were doing some trail maintenance (which is always appreciated.)
"You know that you can't run here right?" This was how the woman greeted us.  I guess I looked like a runner and not a hiker?  It mus have been the purple socks and multi-colored shoes.  Hmmmm?
"You runners have all kinds of places to run and we only have this one place to ride horses." she continued.  Renee was pretty upset at this point and I was too but tried not to let on.  I was just hoping there was some sort of compromise we could reach.  We let them know that we had been out here running before and that there was even a running race in March.   We let them know that we were staunch believers in trail etiquette and Renee reassured them that she had raised horses so she was familiar with them.
"Yes, the race is the one time of year you can run here." was their cheerful reply.
hiking

trail


spring

woods
Eventually the guy came over and we looked at the map together and talked about the new mileage built at the trail.    Things seemed to calm down at this point and eventually they both said that we could run there as long as we were careful and watched out for horses.   I also then took my spray paint can back to the car.  I guess I'll have to write graffiti  on trees in the woods at a later time. *sarcasm
When I woke up that morning, I never thought that I would be told that I couldn't run somewhere. These are crazy times indeed.
Please, I beg you, if you see a runner out and about, give them a smile to let them know that you care and let them know that they still belong in this world.

Popular posts from this blog

The milk of human kindness isn't spoiled

Something wonderful is happening. I am being serious. For the past year or so I've been developing this sense of love and compassion for humanity.  That sounds like a really broad, general statement but it's true. I'm becoming more perceptive of others and more forgiving. I believe we're all doing the best with the hand we're given. I use these words because I don't know how else to describe this very subtle feeling. It's a swelling in the heart and a sense of well-being and contentment.  Some days it borders on joy. Sure, I still get irritated with nuisances like drivers when they tailgate me or cut me off in traffic but overall, I am developing something here. Maybe my soul is expanding. I'm beginning to feel as though I'm finally a part of the human race.  In the past, I've felt so aloof and misanthropic so this is strange for me. I can't exactly pinpoint when it began.  I wonder if it's just part of the maturation process but I hope...

Swimming Fundraiser Charity

I've created this page because I want to make a difference. I'm inspired by the work of Heifer International and wanted to support them by raising money.   I believe in supporting Heifer because I feel strongly about people being empowered.  Heifer International espouses self-sufficiency through education and sustainable animal husbandry and agricultural efforts throughout the world. Please help me help them by giving whatever you can using the 'Give Now' button. The more people that know about Heifer International, the greater their impact, so please also spread the word by sharing my page with your friends and family. Thank you in advance for your generosity, it means a lot! (Briefly about me:) Swimming is my biggest fitness-related challenge and something that does not come easy to me.  I am always amazed at how much technique, dedication and focus it take to be a good swimmer. Some days in the pool or lake are faster than others!  I am a cyclist and runner by...

Allatoona Creek trail run race report

First year doing the Allatoona Creek race. Missed it last year because I had a duathlon on the same day. This course is sneakily difficult with the most challenging being the Mason's Bridge section.  On a bike, it's easier and more fun because you can roll through all the dips but running through those is really tough.  There aren't very many climbs and no big hills but that course is a grinder.  There was a torrential rainfall a few days before the race so the first 3 miles was a mud run through open cross-country.  I really liked this part though felt I got off to a slow start.  Pacing is so difficult because I don't know how much energy I need to spare.   Feet were wet out of the gate but it was no big deal.  There's a twisted part of me that prefers adverse conditions. Went in to the singletrack section at Rusty Bucket and shuffled through twisty sections, not very fast through there.  In fact, I felt leaden the entire race. I had ran the da...