Skip to main content

Backpacking at Providence Canyon

Went for a 2-nighter down near Columbus with Renee for our anniversary.  Backpacked at Providence Canyon park. This was a neat place with some beautiful canyons, which were formed as a result of poor agricultural practices in the 1800s. The hike out was just under 3 miles but there were considerable hills. We had to hike back to the visitor's center to refill our water supply once.  Total miles hiking was approximately 15.

Thoughts from the trail:

  • No matter how in-shape one is, backpacking is still a fitness tester 
  • Showers are overrated
  • Always bring extra water (absolutely no water sources at all in the park) 
  • A crystal clear, starry night away from light pollution where one can see the Milky Way is worth the price of admission
  • There is nothing quite like daybreak at camp
  • There is nothing quite like dusk at camp
  • A campfire is the perfect way to end the day
  • Re-hydrated food is convenient and relatively tasty but we also to brought along "junk," such as beanie weenies and vienna sausage, candy bars, etc for a needed break from reconstituted foods.
  • Coffee makes it alright
  • Barred owls calling to each other in the middle of the night is worth being awake
  • It is interesting to note how priorities and concerns change and simplify in the wilderness ; gathering wood, making sure to have enough food and water, staying warm.
  • There are simple pleasures such as a bird sharing it's morning with you at the campsite
  • The adrenaline rush of coming upon an active yellow jacket nest right on the trail and having to strategically scurry past
  • Always check your pack before picking it up (large hunting spider)
Full-size photos from the trip:  https://goo.gl/photos/QuyUGNsoiVifsjcC6

backpacking


backpacking






















Popular posts from this blog

The milk of human kindness isn't spoiled

Something wonderful is happening. I am being serious. For the past year or so I've been developing this sense of love and compassion for humanity.  That sounds like a really broad, general statement but it's true. I'm becoming more perceptive of others and more forgiving. I believe we're all doing the best with the hand we're given. I use these words because I don't know how else to describe this very subtle feeling. It's a swelling in the heart and a sense of well-being and contentment.  Some days it borders on joy. Sure, I still get irritated with nuisances like drivers when they tailgate me or cut me off in traffic but overall, I am developing something here. Maybe my soul is expanding. I'm beginning to feel as though I'm finally a part of the human race.  In the past, I've felt so aloof and misanthropic so this is strange for me. I can't exactly pinpoint when it began.  I wonder if it's just part of the maturation process but I hope...

Swimming Fundraiser Charity

I've created this page because I want to make a difference. I'm inspired by the work of Heifer International and wanted to support them by raising money.   I believe in supporting Heifer because I feel strongly about people being empowered.  Heifer International espouses self-sufficiency through education and sustainable animal husbandry and agricultural efforts throughout the world. Please help me help them by giving whatever you can using the 'Give Now' button. The more people that know about Heifer International, the greater their impact, so please also spread the word by sharing my page with your friends and family. Thank you in advance for your generosity, it means a lot! (Briefly about me:) Swimming is my biggest fitness-related challenge and something that does not come easy to me.  I am always amazed at how much technique, dedication and focus it take to be a good swimmer. Some days in the pool or lake are faster than others!  I am a cyclist and runner by...

Allatoona Creek duathlon race report

Was surprised that the race was held after the deluge the night before.  Singletrack was sloppy so the bike portion was cut down to 1 lap instead of 2.  Run portion was dry in the the cross-country section but puddly in the singletrack. I had my characteristic slow run start and the lead pack quickly left me on the gravel road heading in to Rusty Bucket. Picked up some speed after coming out of the tight and twisty Rusty Bucket trail. Felt strong back to the first transition. Quick transition to bike after 30 seconds or so.  Practice had paid off. On to the bike leg and feeling good.  Only doing 1 lap was a disadvantage for me since my endurance is better than my speed.  About a quarter mile from in to the bike leg noticed my rear wheel was loose. This on top of severely muddy trails made me dial it back some but at least the wheel never came all the way out.  Another bike lap would've been miserable. Good sportsmanship on the trails. Back to the transit...