Skip to main content

Hickory Knob Tri race report

Went with my dad to the Hickory Knob Triathlon in McCormick, SC.  Wasn't going to do the race until my dad asked if he could go so I couldn't pass up the chance.  I had never been to this area before so was eager to check it out. It is really remote and pretty.  Not to mention that I was looking to do an early-season triathlon for the experience.  There was plenty of rain so the mountain biking portion was moved to the road within the park for a total of about 17 miles. Apparently this race is plagued with bad weather so the race director is considering moving the race back to the fall.  Stayed in Greenwood,SC which was about 45 min. away.  Not too bad of a drive on race morning.  Luckily start time was moved back to 8:15.  Ate 2 huge meals on Saturday then had a mint shake at Arby's. Came back to hotel room and chilled. Put my race number on bike and run belt. I brought both mountain bikes because I wasn't sure how hilly the course would be. Glad I brought my geared bike because Singlespeed would've been agony.
Woke up race morning around 5ish after a poor night's sleep due to noise in the hallway from about half-dozen hoodlums (Charming!) Had an Udi's GF  blueberry muffin, eggs, sausage.    Drove to the park and had a little trouble finding the transition area.  Set up relatively quickly.  Put on wetsuit then got in water to get acclimated. Nursed some Skratch from water bottle.  Water wasn't as bad as Lake Allatoona's 48 degrees a week earlier but still cold. Nothing I'd want to hang out in.
Had racer meeting then started swim.  I put myself at back of swim group and we had a quick start so I started from back. I was hoping to have time to move forward into the group some.  Had an ok swim. Have definitely been faster in the water.  No drafting chances and had a few rough-and-tumbles around the buoys. Think I kicked a guy pretty hard by accident.  Swim was 2 200 yard out and backs. That was a first for me having to get out of the water then do a repeat of the same 400 yard course.   Finished swim WAY back in the pack and had a positively glacial transition to bike. Fiddling with wetsuit and cold hands and feet.  No running mount on bike with shoes already clipped in (Well it was a mountain bike!)  Bike was a little slow and was bummed I couldn't pack up with anyone since they decided that drafting would be allowed last minute.  Had about a 18mph pace on the bike. Did well in the hills and aero'd the straights and downhills.  Would've been great to draft off some peeps but I was a lone wolf on the bike.  Couldn't close any gaps.
Finished bike and had an awkward transition to run. Un-clipped my shoes in an attempt to do running dismount but instead both shoes came off pedals and fell to ground! Go you crazy goof! Then get to transition and can't find my run gear. Turns out someone had covered it with jacket most likely by accident.  Put on hat and shoes.  Shoes took forever to put on because feet were so numb and soaking wet.
The run is where I really felt great. I've been running a ton over the winter. Was putting in 7:30 miles and felt really springy.  Passed several people on the run. Trail wasn't that technical compared to what I normally run but was nice and muddy and downright sloppy in places. Not much in the way of elevation gain either.  Finished in 1:54 which was 2nd age group and 18th overall.

Overall had a great time and huge thanks to my dad for moral support, taking photos, paying for food,lodging,gas.  Can't wait for the next one!


Victory dance





Go you roadie mountain biker!


Glacial transition!










Lake Strom Thurmond - Calm before the storm






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Ridge Triathlon race report

First of all, huge thanks to my wife Renee for getting up with me at 4am to get ready for the race and providing pit crew and moral support! Went into my 3rd triathlon in Blue Ridge, GA pretty confident after spending this year ramping up my swim at the Aquatic Center and Open Water Swims at Lake Allatoona.  Swimming being my main limiter and  biking and running, my strengths.  I never realized just how much technique is involved with swimming and it's been a challenge to get faster in the water and to also become comfortable in open water. For this race, I knew I would have no problem with the Sprint distance: 600 yard swim, 18 mile bike, 3.2 mile run. No I don't have an expensive Tri bike with aero wheels, aero bars or aero helmet. In fact, you'd laugh at how much my race bike costs. Hey, I figure I'll build my body up first before diving in fully with the expensive gear. Rested 3 days prior and was battling a groin/adductor pull.  Hurts like crazy unless legs a

Bassline of the week!

 I heard this song on a run today and realized what a great bass part it has.  That's Tina Weymouth from  Talking Heads' playing on "Born Under Punches."  Tina, in my opinion, is a consistently underrated bassist.  She really has such a minimalist style. This bassline does exactly what it needs to and nothing more, simple and effective.  It definitely gets bonus points for being in such a quirky time signature as well!  She also uses space and air between notes to provide extra, er, punch.   It's such a strange song frankly, with typical Talking Heads bizarre lyrics, seemingly random guitar licks and synth for that matter. Tina's part could've fallen through the cracks and her slap-and-pop style on the track helps the bass break through the mix a bit. This song is a great example of bass parts that just groove and are perfect in their simplicity.  Enjoy and thanks for reading!

Raleigh, etc.

It's hot here in Raleigh and I'm stuck in a windowless tiny office writing a technical manual. Actually I'm not writing much of anything. Sometimes the well dries up. I had a pretty bad crash last night on 286. Came through the other side of a creek crossing and front wheel washed out in some loose rocks. I may have applied to much front brake inexplicably.  Really trying to lay off the brakes more and more. Anyway, left elbow and knee are banged up and plenty of road rash. As they say, that's racing. There is a race Saturday here that I thought about entering on a lark but now I may not.