Skip to main content

Ft. Yargo Offroad Triathlon Race Report

Couldn't wait for my second Triathlon and first off-road Tri . Alarm went off at 5am but snoozed until 5:30. Out the door at 6:08 and made it to race venue in Winder at 7:20.  Mad dash to get bike to transition an get checked in to get my race numbers. It's amazing that I actually made it on time. Even had time to get in the water beforehand to warm up some.  This race was an absolute blast and I can't wait for the next one. This despite a severe bike mechanical where my frame cracked and caused my chain to come off. I literally had to run my bike the last half-mile of the bike course.
Last summer I did a road Sprint tri and had a rough time with the swim, which was only 200 yards.  Feelings of panic and total body shutdown.  Since the swim cost me several minutes I decided to bolster up my swimming with training at the local aquatic center starting in January.   That training paid off in Saturday's race, which was held at Ft. Yargo State Park in Winder, Ga.  The biggest hurdle was just not panicking in the water.  The swim was a 1/2 mile, a distance I am comfortable with. Water was 65 or so and definitely required a wetsuit. I started toward the back since I'm still a noob and getting used to the "washing machine" effect at the swim start.  I passed a few people on the swim and let me tell you, the water was choppy and churning!  Even several hundred yards into the swim was still chaotic with arms and legs flailing everywhere.  No way to avoid contact with other people!  Settled into my groove and sighted the first orange buoy. Thankfully the mist had cleared off the lake as the buoys were nearly obscured with the bright sun and mist.  Finally had some room around me after the first buoy. We were going counter-clockwise and keeping buoys to the left.  Reassuring to see kayakers out there keeping watch.  Getting into a groove by the 2nd buoy and 1/4 mile in.  Still some chop heading back to the shore and catching up with other swimmers attempting to draft off some behind and to the side slightly.  Sighting was good. Finished up the 1/2 mile swim quickly and then made it ashore and began struggling with the wetsuit. I had practiced removing the wetsuit a few times but nothing can prepare for being wet and elevated heartrate, plus I couldn't find the release strap.  My first transition took 3 minutes!  I think next time I will try sitting down to remove the wetsuit.
Then off to the bike course.  I was feeling good heading into the bike then my chain came off a mile or so in.  The course is 10 miles so I was in for a long ride. My chain proceeded to come off another dozen times or so. Turns out my bike frame had cracked where the dropout bolts attach.  This is the 2nd frame that I've cracked on this bike.  I really must be a patient or determined person because for some reason I finished the bike course. I estimate that the bike issues added 6 or 7 minutes to my time due to all the stops.   What's even more frustrating is that I kept passing the same racers and getting passed by them repeatedly due to having to stop for my bike!
Back to the transition area after an hour of fighting with the bike. Put on my run shoes then took off.
Run felt a little heavy and not so springy.  There were several peeps in front that I eventually caught. It's nice to see fellow racers smiling in such misery and there were a few out there still cracking smiles. Also nice to give encouragement to each other usually happens when running and can't be underestimated.  Grunted through the last few miles and finished up strongly. I feel like I left a lot out on the race course due to my bike but that's how it goes sometimes.
Overall I had a great experience and a really fun time.  Triathlon is such a challenge, unlike any other sport I participate in including mountain biking, road cycling, and trail running.  I can't wait for the next one!

Results:
Swim : 19:37 (Including 3 minute transition)
Bike (Mechanical): 64:51
Run: 42:41 (including transition)

71 out of 140










Popular posts from this blog

Blue Ridge Triathlon race report

First of all, huge thanks to my wife Renee for getting up with me at 4am to get ready for the race and providing pit crew and moral support! Went into my 3rd triathlon in Blue Ridge, GA pretty confident after spending this year ramping up my swim at the Aquatic Center and Open Water Swims at Lake Allatoona.  Swimming being my main limiter and  biking and running, my strengths.  I never realized just how much technique is involved with swimming and it's been a challenge to get faster in the water and to also become comfortable in open water. For this race, I knew I would have no problem with the Sprint distance: 600 yard swim, 18 mile bike, 3.2 mile run. No I don't have an expensive Tri bike with aero wheels, aero bars or aero helmet. In fact, you'd laugh at how much my race bike costs. Hey, I figure I'll build my body up first before diving in fully with the expensive gear. Rested 3 days prior and was battling a groin/adductor pull.  Hurts like crazy unless legs a

Bassline of the week!

 I heard this song on a run today and realized what a great bass part it has.  That's Tina Weymouth from  Talking Heads' playing on "Born Under Punches."  Tina, in my opinion, is a consistently underrated bassist.  She really has such a minimalist style. This bassline does exactly what it needs to and nothing more, simple and effective.  It definitely gets bonus points for being in such a quirky time signature as well!  She also uses space and air between notes to provide extra, er, punch.   It's such a strange song frankly, with typical Talking Heads bizarre lyrics, seemingly random guitar licks and synth for that matter. Tina's part could've fallen through the cracks and her slap-and-pop style on the track helps the bass break through the mix a bit. This song is a great example of bass parts that just groove and are perfect in their simplicity.  Enjoy and thanks for reading!

Raleigh, etc.

It's hot here in Raleigh and I'm stuck in a windowless tiny office writing a technical manual. Actually I'm not writing much of anything. Sometimes the well dries up. I had a pretty bad crash last night on 286. Came through the other side of a creek crossing and front wheel washed out in some loose rocks. I may have applied to much front brake inexplicably.  Really trying to lay off the brakes more and more. Anyway, left elbow and knee are banged up and plenty of road rash. As they say, that's racing. There is a race Saturday here that I thought about entering on a lark but now I may not.