Skip to main content

2014 Snake Creek Time Trial Series Race Report

Around 5 years ago when I began Mountain Biking there was one trail that struck me as one that I must ride one day when I obtained the skills and fitness to do so, that trail is Snake Creek Gap near Dalton, GA.  Just a mere mention of this trail seems to strike awe in bikers and runners alike, for its daunting technical features (roots and rocks ad nauseum) and lung-busting climbs.  This is not a "fun" trail necessarily (although there are plenty of fun downhill sections) but more of a trail to help you discover what kind of person you are.  Call it a vision quest for the modern age.  "The Snake", as it's affectionately called, can definitely teach one a thing or two about themselves.  Some people ask me, "Jonathan, why do you do what you do? Why subject yourself to such torture?"  I don't really have an answer for that except, to see if I can do it.  "Because it's there."

5 years later I finally got up the gumption to enter this series and finally conquer this juggernaut of a ride.  It's funny how the mind can build up something to be so treacherous then reality turns out differently, to a point.
I had ridden The Snake several times before entering the time trials so I knew what was in store: Frustration amid a mile-long rock garden was a highlight and seemingly unending ascents up more rocky sections.  One summer ride had extreme overgrowth which added briar lashings to the mix. A nearly vertical climb dubbed The Wall that few have managed to ride all the way up due to it's steepness and technical challenge.

March run- Today was the 3rd race in the series and I definitely saved the best for last with a 2:03 finish. I spent a lot of time yesterday dialing in my Trek SS bike. Tightened the chain and greased a squeaky saddle post. Also tightened the brakes some. Saddle slid down during the race so it wasn't tightened enough. Also lost a water bottle full of 3 scoops of Perpetuem. No biggie though, I was a machine today and only needed 1 gel and half bottle of water. Also left the Osprey backpack at home. Between that and my weight loss, I saved myself probably 5-6lbs. over my February run. This week I had ridden twice at Jackrabbit which was a relatively tame ride. Also 2 swims this week. Besides that, nothing but quality rest. Stress has been higher this week due to dentist and work layoffs. Technically, I handled the course much better today and made it up a lot more hills this time rather than hiking. Rode clean for the most part and also climbed a lot better. Lighter = faster and better climbing! The Wall was still rough but I got up it quicker this time even managing a dash. Also, no full body cramping today! I'm really beginning to see how important good rest and recovery is as well as nutritional strategy. Renee and I have been eating mostly Paleo for about 6 weeks and it has really agreed with us. Getting leaner and cleaning out all the glue. Also drinking less sodas. Pre-race supplements: took 3 Endurolytes at 6am then another 2 right before race start at 9ish. Breakfast was 1 TBSP coconut oil in my coffee (almost threw up) and 2 pieces dark chocolate. need to dial back the coconut oil a tad. Had 1 Espresso Gu on the ride. Post-race was chili and peach cobbler (what a treat!) with 2 cups coffee. I am extremely pleased with my effort and result today. I knocked 12 minutes off my fastest time and couldn't have biked much better. I felt like I had a jet thruster on the side of my bike. Next year we'll see how the 34-mile course is looking.
February run - This was the real beastie. I didn't realize how tired I was but I felt pretty fresh before the race. I had unwisely done a high-intensity interval effort on Wed. and thought 2 days would've been enough to recover but nope. I also ran that morning for about 3.5 miles. Perplexing. Other than that, a few swim sessions that week.  5 hours of running the week prior though, in preparation for Sweetwate 1/2 marathon. As soon as I began though with the climbing right at the start I knew my legs were dead. It was going to be one of those rides where I had to grit my teeth through. My chain kept coming off due to bolts slipping on my tensioner so that cost me several minutes. I even endoed on an uphill rocky section. Just not a good day on the bike.

January run - Sub-freezing start with snow still on the trail!  This was a decent effort finishing in about 2:15. Bike handling was decent and climbs were good. I think I was just feeling my way around the entire course. Amazing to see peeps passing me seemingly floating over the rocks and roots.

Overall impressions 
This is probably the most challenging 3 races I've ever done.  I told my wife to slap me if I ever mention doing the 34-mile course but after yesterday's effort, I am considering the 34 next year.  Arguably the toughest trail in Georgia, The Snake never fails to deliver a humbling and limit-stretching experience.  This race has taught me a lot about mental and physical preparation for a race, in addition to proper fueling strategy.

Photos and videos
Psyched before the February run




Cold morning in January
February start
March start. Good body language

March finish. Strong!

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Ridge Triathlon race report

First of all, huge thanks to my wife Renee for getting up with me at 4am to get ready for the race and providing pit crew and moral support! Went into my 3rd triathlon in Blue Ridge, GA pretty confident after spending this year ramping up my swim at the Aquatic Center and Open Water Swims at Lake Allatoona.  Swimming being my main limiter and  biking and running, my strengths.  I never realized just how much technique is involved with swimming and it's been a challenge to get faster in the water and to also become comfortable in open water. For this race, I knew I would have no problem with the Sprint distance: 600 yard swim, 18 mile bike, 3.2 mile run. No I don't have an expensive Tri bike with aero wheels, aero bars or aero helmet. In fact, you'd laugh at how much my race bike costs. Hey, I figure I'll build my body up first before diving in fully with the expensive gear. Rested 3 days prior and was battling a groin/adductor pull.  Hurts like crazy unless legs a

Bassline of the week!

 I heard this song on a run today and realized what a great bass part it has.  That's Tina Weymouth from  Talking Heads' playing on "Born Under Punches."  Tina, in my opinion, is a consistently underrated bassist.  She really has such a minimalist style. This bassline does exactly what it needs to and nothing more, simple and effective.  It definitely gets bonus points for being in such a quirky time signature as well!  She also uses space and air between notes to provide extra, er, punch.   It's such a strange song frankly, with typical Talking Heads bizarre lyrics, seemingly random guitar licks and synth for that matter. Tina's part could've fallen through the cracks and her slap-and-pop style on the track helps the bass break through the mix a bit. This song is a great example of bass parts that just groove and are perfect in their simplicity.  Enjoy and thanks for reading!

Raleigh, etc.

It's hot here in Raleigh and I'm stuck in a windowless tiny office writing a technical manual. Actually I'm not writing much of anything. Sometimes the well dries up. I had a pretty bad crash last night on 286. Came through the other side of a creek crossing and front wheel washed out in some loose rocks. I may have applied to much front brake inexplicably.  Really trying to lay off the brakes more and more. Anyway, left elbow and knee are banged up and plenty of road rash. As they say, that's racing. There is a race Saturday here that I thought about entering on a lark but now I may not.