Skip to main content

2014 Snake Creek Time Trial Series Race Report

Around 5 years ago when I began Mountain Biking there was one trail that struck me as one that I must ride one day when I obtained the skills and fitness to do so, that trail is Snake Creek Gap near Dalton, GA.  Just a mere mention of this trail seems to strike awe in bikers and runners alike, for its daunting technical features (roots and rocks ad nauseum) and lung-busting climbs.  This is not a "fun" trail necessarily (although there are plenty of fun downhill sections) but more of a trail to help you discover what kind of person you are.  Call it a vision quest for the modern age.  "The Snake", as it's affectionately called, can definitely teach one a thing or two about themselves.  Some people ask me, "Jonathan, why do you do what you do? Why subject yourself to such torture?"  I don't really have an answer for that except, to see if I can do it.  "Because it's there."

5 years later I finally got up the gumption to enter this series and finally conquer this juggernaut of a ride.  It's funny how the mind can build up something to be so treacherous then reality turns out differently, to a point.
I had ridden The Snake several times before entering the time trials so I knew what was in store: Frustration amid a mile-long rock garden was a highlight and seemingly unending ascents up more rocky sections.  One summer ride had extreme overgrowth which added briar lashings to the mix. A nearly vertical climb dubbed The Wall that few have managed to ride all the way up due to it's steepness and technical challenge.

March run- Today was the 3rd race in the series and I definitely saved the best for last with a 2:03 finish. I spent a lot of time yesterday dialing in my Trek SS bike. Tightened the chain and greased a squeaky saddle post. Also tightened the brakes some. Saddle slid down during the race so it wasn't tightened enough. Also lost a water bottle full of 3 scoops of Perpetuem. No biggie though, I was a machine today and only needed 1 gel and half bottle of water. Also left the Osprey backpack at home. Between that and my weight loss, I saved myself probably 5-6lbs. over my February run. This week I had ridden twice at Jackrabbit which was a relatively tame ride. Also 2 swims this week. Besides that, nothing but quality rest. Stress has been higher this week due to dentist and work layoffs. Technically, I handled the course much better today and made it up a lot more hills this time rather than hiking. Rode clean for the most part and also climbed a lot better. Lighter = faster and better climbing! The Wall was still rough but I got up it quicker this time even managing a dash. Also, no full body cramping today! I'm really beginning to see how important good rest and recovery is as well as nutritional strategy. Renee and I have been eating mostly Paleo for about 6 weeks and it has really agreed with us. Getting leaner and cleaning out all the glue. Also drinking less sodas. Pre-race supplements: took 3 Endurolytes at 6am then another 2 right before race start at 9ish. Breakfast was 1 TBSP coconut oil in my coffee (almost threw up) and 2 pieces dark chocolate. need to dial back the coconut oil a tad. Had 1 Espresso Gu on the ride. Post-race was chili and peach cobbler (what a treat!) with 2 cups coffee. I am extremely pleased with my effort and result today. I knocked 12 minutes off my fastest time and couldn't have biked much better. I felt like I had a jet thruster on the side of my bike. Next year we'll see how the 34-mile course is looking.
February run - This was the real beastie. I didn't realize how tired I was but I felt pretty fresh before the race. I had unwisely done a high-intensity interval effort on Wed. and thought 2 days would've been enough to recover but nope. I also ran that morning for about 3.5 miles. Perplexing. Other than that, a few swim sessions that week.  5 hours of running the week prior though, in preparation for Sweetwate 1/2 marathon. As soon as I began though with the climbing right at the start I knew my legs were dead. It was going to be one of those rides where I had to grit my teeth through. My chain kept coming off due to bolts slipping on my tensioner so that cost me several minutes. I even endoed on an uphill rocky section. Just not a good day on the bike.

January run - Sub-freezing start with snow still on the trail!  This was a decent effort finishing in about 2:15. Bike handling was decent and climbs were good. I think I was just feeling my way around the entire course. Amazing to see peeps passing me seemingly floating over the rocks and roots.

Overall impressions 
This is probably the most challenging 3 races I've ever done.  I told my wife to slap me if I ever mention doing the 34-mile course but after yesterday's effort, I am considering the 34 next year.  Arguably the toughest trail in Georgia, The Snake never fails to deliver a humbling and limit-stretching experience.  This race has taught me a lot about mental and physical preparation for a race, in addition to proper fueling strategy.

Photos and videos
Psyched before the February run




Cold morning in January
February start
March start. Good body language

March finish. Strong!

Popular posts from this blog

The milk of human kindness isn't spoiled

Something wonderful is happening. I am being serious. For the past year or so I've been developing this sense of love and compassion for humanity.  That sounds like a really broad, general statement but it's true. I'm becoming more perceptive of others and more forgiving. I believe we're all doing the best with the hand we're given. I use these words because I don't know how else to describe this very subtle feeling. It's a swelling in the heart and a sense of well-being and contentment.  Some days it borders on joy. Sure, I still get irritated with nuisances like drivers when they tailgate me or cut me off in traffic but overall, I am developing something here. Maybe my soul is expanding. I'm beginning to feel as though I'm finally a part of the human race.  In the past, I've felt so aloof and misanthropic so this is strange for me. I can't exactly pinpoint when it began.  I wonder if it's just part of the maturation process but I hope...

Swimming Fundraiser Charity

I've created this page because I want to make a difference. I'm inspired by the work of Heifer International and wanted to support them by raising money.   I believe in supporting Heifer because I feel strongly about people being empowered.  Heifer International espouses self-sufficiency through education and sustainable animal husbandry and agricultural efforts throughout the world. Please help me help them by giving whatever you can using the 'Give Now' button. The more people that know about Heifer International, the greater their impact, so please also spread the word by sharing my page with your friends and family. Thank you in advance for your generosity, it means a lot! (Briefly about me:) Swimming is my biggest fitness-related challenge and something that does not come easy to me.  I am always amazed at how much technique, dedication and focus it take to be a good swimmer. Some days in the pool or lake are faster than others!  I am a cyclist and runner by...

Allatoona Creek duathlon race report

Was surprised that the race was held after the deluge the night before.  Singletrack was sloppy so the bike portion was cut down to 1 lap instead of 2.  Run portion was dry in the the cross-country section but puddly in the singletrack. I had my characteristic slow run start and the lead pack quickly left me on the gravel road heading in to Rusty Bucket. Picked up some speed after coming out of the tight and twisty Rusty Bucket trail. Felt strong back to the first transition. Quick transition to bike after 30 seconds or so.  Practice had paid off. On to the bike leg and feeling good.  Only doing 1 lap was a disadvantage for me since my endurance is better than my speed.  About a quarter mile from in to the bike leg noticed my rear wheel was loose. This on top of severely muddy trails made me dial it back some but at least the wheel never came all the way out.  Another bike lap would've been miserable. Good sportsmanship on the trails. Back to the transit...