Skip to main content

Garland Mtn. race report

My second trail race of the year was a tough one at the beautiful Garland Mountain horse/hike trail system near Waleska, GA.  Temps were in the 40s at race start but skipped any warm clothing. Had the trusty Altras on, which did well on a muddy,slick course.  This race was part of a national cup series so there were some elite runners in the field.  I positioned myself at the front of the pack and had a quick start, perhaps a tad quick although I felt like I could maintain that pace.  I was putting in an 8:15 or so over the first 3 miles. Maybe an 8:30 would've been a wiser choice.  I'm sure all this will come with more experience.  Strangely, 2 weeks before during my half-marathon, I felt a lot better overall and had a strong finish. Today, I felt like I stumbled toward the end despite a eyeballs-bleeding uphill climb to the finish.
A week before I had finished the Snake Creek mountain bike time trials then followed with an 8-mile run the next day so I may have still been tired from that effort. Lately I've been struggling with balancing rest and effort. How much of each and for how long...
The run was pleasant for the most part with a long greenway downhill about 3 miles in then the greenway uphill, which I was actually looking forward to. The uphill is when I knew that I was in some trouble because I didn't have the power going up that hill that I expected.  Didn't know if I was blown already or poor breakfast or stars were out of alignment.  This was a rolly course too with lots of ups and downhills.  Downhills are probably my weak link if I have one. I tend to baby them too much and really slow myself down. Not uncommon to play leapfrog with a few other peeps out there.
Prior to the race I had 3 days straight of rest. Ran on Tuesday for 4 miles then 3 days of swimming every other day.  Fuel was a gu and coconut oil with coffee. No problems. Again the Altra's were Superior. Great grip on a slick course.

Totals:
9.6 mi
1 hour 23 min

Popular posts from this blog

The milk of human kindness isn't spoiled

Something wonderful is happening. I am being serious. For the past year or so I've been developing this sense of love and compassion for humanity.  That sounds like a really broad, general statement but it's true. I'm becoming more perceptive of others and more forgiving. I believe we're all doing the best with the hand we're given. I use these words because I don't know how else to describe this very subtle feeling. It's a swelling in the heart and a sense of well-being and contentment.  Some days it borders on joy. Sure, I still get irritated with nuisances like drivers when they tailgate me or cut me off in traffic but overall, I am developing something here. Maybe my soul is expanding. I'm beginning to feel as though I'm finally a part of the human race.  In the past, I've felt so aloof and misanthropic so this is strange for me. I can't exactly pinpoint when it began.  I wonder if it's just part of the maturation process but I hope...

Thundering Silence: Backpacking on the Appalachian Trail

Ventured out on my first backpacking trip on the Appalachian Trail, or AT as its known in the hiking community.  I hadn't been backpacking since I was in the Scouts, when we did a 10-miler at Kennesaw Mountain. My wife Renee had never been backpacking although we had both been primitive car-camping before and we each share a love of the outdoors.  This trip had been in the making for a few years with us sharing a "Wouldn't that be awesome," conversation or two.  I also recall my dad saying how neat it would be to hike the entire AT when I was a kid, a lofty goal to be sure. Renee and I are both in pretty good shape from running and bicycling so we figured that a 2-night trip on the AT would be feasible.  We were right...mostly. We purchased our backpacking and camping gear the week before and took a practice hike at a local trail. We did a trial run at Sutallee Trace in Canton to test the waters and get the packs dialed in.  I felt some new muscles being wor...

Viva la Chicopee Woods MTB Trails

Another satisfying ride at Chicopee . This place never leaves me for wanting more. There are about 30 miles worth of trails with something for everyone, featuring fast,fun, and flowy loops and also rocky/rooty loops with punishing climbs. I rode about 2.5 hours at a relatively slow pace only covering about 22 miles. Carrying the 15 lb pack really weighs me down but it's good for strength and endurance. I also tried to stay in the middle rings on front and back, around a 2-3. At least it gets lighter as the ride goes on with the loss of fluid. Today I was focusing more on good cornering, especially downhill cornering. Not rushing things at all and riding at a rather deliberate pace. Good thing the trails were deserted. It's difficult to keep my weight back through a downhill corner yet push down on the inside bar to give the front tire more bite. Ran the tires at about 30 PSI which seemed to be an adequate pressure for today's trail conditions, which were mostly tacky and...