Skip to main content

Garland Mtn. race report

My second trail race of the year was a tough one at the beautiful Garland Mountain horse/hike trail system near Waleska, GA.  Temps were in the 40s at race start but skipped any warm clothing. Had the trusty Altras on, which did well on a muddy,slick course.  This race was part of a national cup series so there were some elite runners in the field.  I positioned myself at the front of the pack and had a quick start, perhaps a tad quick although I felt like I could maintain that pace.  I was putting in an 8:15 or so over the first 3 miles. Maybe an 8:30 would've been a wiser choice.  I'm sure all this will come with more experience.  Strangely, 2 weeks before during my half-marathon, I felt a lot better overall and had a strong finish. Today, I felt like I stumbled toward the end despite a eyeballs-bleeding uphill climb to the finish.
A week before I had finished the Snake Creek mountain bike time trials then followed with an 8-mile run the next day so I may have still been tired from that effort. Lately I've been struggling with balancing rest and effort. How much of each and for how long...
The run was pleasant for the most part with a long greenway downhill about 3 miles in then the greenway uphill, which I was actually looking forward to. The uphill is when I knew that I was in some trouble because I didn't have the power going up that hill that I expected.  Didn't know if I was blown already or poor breakfast or stars were out of alignment.  This was a rolly course too with lots of ups and downhills.  Downhills are probably my weak link if I have one. I tend to baby them too much and really slow myself down. Not uncommon to play leapfrog with a few other peeps out there.
Prior to the race I had 3 days straight of rest. Ran on Tuesday for 4 miles then 3 days of swimming every other day.  Fuel was a gu and coconut oil with coffee. No problems. Again the Altra's were Superior. Great grip on a slick course.

Totals:
9.6 mi
1 hour 23 min

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Ridge Triathlon race report

First of all, huge thanks to my wife Renee for getting up with me at 4am to get ready for the race and providing pit crew and moral support! Went into my 3rd triathlon in Blue Ridge, GA pretty confident after spending this year ramping up my swim at the Aquatic Center and Open Water Swims at Lake Allatoona.  Swimming being my main limiter and  biking and running, my strengths.  I never realized just how much technique is involved with swimming and it's been a challenge to get faster in the water and to also become comfortable in open water. For this race, I knew I would have no problem with the Sprint distance: 600 yard swim, 18 mile bike, 3.2 mile run. No I don't have an expensive Tri bike with aero wheels, aero bars or aero helmet. In fact, you'd laugh at how much my race bike costs. Hey, I figure I'll build my body up first before diving in fully with the expensive gear. Rested 3 days prior and was battling a groin/adductor pull.  Hurts like crazy unless legs a

Bassline of the week!

 I heard this song on a run today and realized what a great bass part it has.  That's Tina Weymouth from  Talking Heads' playing on "Born Under Punches."  Tina, in my opinion, is a consistently underrated bassist.  She really has such a minimalist style. This bassline does exactly what it needs to and nothing more, simple and effective.  It definitely gets bonus points for being in such a quirky time signature as well!  She also uses space and air between notes to provide extra, er, punch.   It's such a strange song frankly, with typical Talking Heads bizarre lyrics, seemingly random guitar licks and synth for that matter. Tina's part could've fallen through the cracks and her slap-and-pop style on the track helps the bass break through the mix a bit. This song is a great example of bass parts that just groove and are perfect in their simplicity.  Enjoy and thanks for reading!

Raleigh, etc.

It's hot here in Raleigh and I'm stuck in a windowless tiny office writing a technical manual. Actually I'm not writing much of anything. Sometimes the well dries up. I had a pretty bad crash last night on 286. Came through the other side of a creek crossing and front wheel washed out in some loose rocks. I may have applied to much front brake inexplicably.  Really trying to lay off the brakes more and more. Anyway, left elbow and knee are banged up and plenty of road rash. As they say, that's racing. There is a race Saturday here that I thought about entering on a lark but now I may not.