Skip to main content

Sweetwater Park Sweetheart Half Marathon race report

Went into the half with 6 days of rest thanks to snow and a sinus cold.  I don't recall resting the entire week before a r Haven't exactly been training like gangbusters for this race since it is Winter and all.  Done 3 or 4 long runs plus a few short runs for speed work.  Also down 5lbs. from the holidays helps. Thank you Paleo!
Had a 30 degree 8am race start. Up at 6am! Wore the new Altra Superiors (no lacelocks yet). This was the Altra's second long run and they performed beautifully.  Great trail feel and decent grip.  No PF flare up after the race! Unfortunately, now they are completely covered in mud!
Rained the night before causing a muddy course, foot-deep water crossings.  This race really felt like an adventure or obstacle race with the harsh conditions.  Narrow planks across creeks and tree crossings.  The first tree crossing I took but it really slowed me down so on the next two I just ran through the creek.  Hey, cold,wet feet help with blisters!
The real monster, no... highlight, was the up and down gas and power line climbs about halfway through the race. I ran the whole thing and everyone around me was trekking. Not bragging, just stating a fact because I love to climb. The up and down just..kept..coming.  Alas, downhill needs work.  I think my recent biking at Snake Creek has helped with the suffer factor and climbing.
Mentally, I was completely focused on the race while running.  Usually my mind will drift but today was not the case.  Thinking about pace,footfall,cadence, not going too fast at first.   I don't remember many negative thoughts creeping in when the going got rough and generally kept a good mental positive stance.
The start was fast and most folks sprinted away. I knew this was the wrong approach and it turned out to prove correct when I passed some of those same folks toward the last few miles.  In fact, this one of the only races I remember where I felt strong at the finish and not blown.  Calves were crampy about 5 miles in but I attribute that to running in the barefoot Altra's and getting used to them so the legs weren't 100% throughout, which is to be expected, but cramps are never fun and don't help to serve the speed.  Cramps won't be a factor in full race season.
First part of the race was along the creek and had some really rocky sections including a harrowing staircase descent that was slick.  A few humps through there but then some nice flats.  I'm also fairly quick on the flats.  Portions of this reminded me of Tough Mudder 2 years ago.  A few short climbs and then a muddy off-camber ridge run. No traction.  Then onto the dragonhump gas and power line. Talk about steep. I don't think I'll forget being on top one of the humps and looking down at the other runners going up the next up and thinking that they looked like ants.  I wouldn't expect that kind of elevation in Douglas County.  After about half an hour, finished the climbing then it was fairly smooth back to the finish. That elusive finish.  One guy that I was leapfrogging with stopped at the last aid station. He looked pretty done.  Passed a few more guys that looked trash on the climbs then strolled in at 2:22. Not my fastest half time but I'll take it considering I'm in Winter mode and harsh trail and weather conditions today.
Renee was racing also and did about a 3:15 if memory serves. She is thinking about doing the 50k here again which is this freaking course twice plus some!  Knowing that she did the 50k last year I have to give her such huge props after having done this course today. It's unimaginable having to face down the powerline climbs again and she gets mad props from me.
Overall, great race and surprisingly sharp performance. Shoes did great, trails were in bad shape and wet. Thanks to Douglas County Rogue Runners for a well-marked course and fun event.  Would like to see chip timing instead of having to manually write down your time. Also guys, if you're reading this, could we have more Paleo options for post-race nutrition and skip the Bojangles coupons! :)

Note: Garmin GPS didn't pick up until 3 miles in so distance,pace and elevation won't be accurate.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Ridge Triathlon race report

First of all, huge thanks to my wife Renee for getting up with me at 4am to get ready for the race and providing pit crew and moral support! Went into my 3rd triathlon in Blue Ridge, GA pretty confident after spending this year ramping up my swim at the Aquatic Center and Open Water Swims at Lake Allatoona.  Swimming being my main limiter and  biking and running, my strengths.  I never realized just how much technique is involved with swimming and it's been a challenge to get faster in the water and to also become comfortable in open water. For this race, I knew I would have no problem with the Sprint distance: 600 yard swim, 18 mile bike, 3.2 mile run. No I don't have an expensive Tri bike with aero wheels, aero bars or aero helmet. In fact, you'd laugh at how much my race bike costs. Hey, I figure I'll build my body up first before diving in fully with the expensive gear. Rested 3 days prior and was battling a groin/adductor pull.  Hurts like crazy unless legs a

Bassline of the week!

 I heard this song on a run today and realized what a great bass part it has.  That's Tina Weymouth from  Talking Heads' playing on "Born Under Punches."  Tina, in my opinion, is a consistently underrated bassist.  She really has such a minimalist style. This bassline does exactly what it needs to and nothing more, simple and effective.  It definitely gets bonus points for being in such a quirky time signature as well!  She also uses space and air between notes to provide extra, er, punch.   It's such a strange song frankly, with typical Talking Heads bizarre lyrics, seemingly random guitar licks and synth for that matter. Tina's part could've fallen through the cracks and her slap-and-pop style on the track helps the bass break through the mix a bit. This song is a great example of bass parts that just groove and are perfect in their simplicity.  Enjoy and thanks for reading!

Raleigh, etc.

It's hot here in Raleigh and I'm stuck in a windowless tiny office writing a technical manual. Actually I'm not writing much of anything. Sometimes the well dries up. I had a pretty bad crash last night on 286. Came through the other side of a creek crossing and front wheel washed out in some loose rocks. I may have applied to much front brake inexplicably.  Really trying to lay off the brakes more and more. Anyway, left elbow and knee are banged up and plenty of road rash. As they say, that's racing. There is a race Saturday here that I thought about entering on a lark but now I may not.