Skip to main content

'Tis the season...for dreaming

Toward the end of the year seems like a good time for looking forward to next year and reflecting on the past 12 months.  I began this blog to put my thoughts down on paper, a diary of sorts, but it has turned in to (hopefully) an insight into the mind of an amateur athlete.  I hope the readers have gained insight and humor from my writings and hopefully I can provide a glimpse into the painful, joyous, chaotic, and exalting world of bike racing and trail running.
Over the past year I decided to try some new things and get out of my comfort zone.  I became interested in triathlon (swim,bike,run) last winter and entered a sprint triathlon in June.  The distances were short but it was still about an hour's worth of maximum effort.  Triathlon is fascinating because it requires such discipline and really stretches my limits on physical fitness.  Plus I also find it invigorating to train and compete in multiple disciplines.
I did my usual trail duathlons this year and after a disappointing effort at Blanket's, managed to take 2nd and 1st at Dauset and Rope Mill respectively.  Duathlon is my bread and butter right now and I am really comfortable and confident in that format.  II prefer to start with the bike and then run.  Transitions are smooth an not much wasted effort.  Also, I'm a decent swimmer so this is why I feel that Triathlon is the next logical step.   I wish I had entered a few more duathlons this past year but travel distance was too daunting and staying overnight in hotels while boarding our dogs is cost-prohibitive.
In August I somehow whipped out a 6-hour MTB race on Singlespeed. Talk about a sufferfest!  In September, I rode my first century on the road bike (100-mile ride).  That was an interesting day which saw rain pretty much through the entire route.   September also saw my longest trail run race at Dauset where Renee and I tag-teamed a 6-hour race.  Grueling!  Then I turned around the next day and did the Duathlon. I honestly didn't know if i could do it.

Looking forward to 2014, I am considering doing the Snake Creek Gap Time Trials for the first time.  That is a real juggernaut to me.  I am looking at getting a few more sprint triathlons under my belt before entering an Olympic distance tri in May in Knoxville,TN.  The Olympic tri will be my A race for the year most likely and I would feel such a sense of accomplishment.  I plan on continuing the duathlon and shorter trail run races in the spring also and it should be interesting seeing how my tri training will fit into those races.  I would like to do another century or two.  The running juggernaut would be the 50k, most likely in the fall.  I think I would need a 3-month rampup to the 50k distance.  Most likely it would be the Stump Jump in Signal Mtn, TN.  To complete a 50k feels like I'm reaching beyond my grasp at this point as I've been dealing with foot pain.  Most likely plantar fasciitis.
One of the challenges of being an athlete is knowing when to rest and is something I'm presently struggling with.  It's also tough to know how much training to do in a given week.

Regardless, this has been a great year of racing and has brought me great satisfaction.   I am so fortunate to be able to do the things that I do.  Yet there is a feeling that I can do more.  I will endeavor to commit to more races and have less last-minute signups and "fence-riding."  I think that I have a clearer sense of direction going into 2014 and view 2013 as one big experiment.


Popular posts from this blog

Blue Ridge Triathlon race report

First of all, huge thanks to my wife Renee for getting up with me at 4am to get ready for the race and providing pit crew and moral support! Went into my 3rd triathlon in Blue Ridge, GA pretty confident after spending this year ramping up my swim at the Aquatic Center and Open Water Swims at Lake Allatoona.  Swimming being my main limiter and  biking and running, my strengths.  I never realized just how much technique is involved with swimming and it's been a challenge to get faster in the water and to also become comfortable in open water. For this race, I knew I would have no problem with the Sprint distance: 600 yard swim, 18 mile bike, 3.2 mile run. No I don't have an expensive Tri bike with aero wheels, aero bars or aero helmet. In fact, you'd laugh at how much my race bike costs. Hey, I figure I'll build my body up first before diving in fully with the expensive gear. Rested 3 days prior and was battling a groin/adductor pull.  Hurts like crazy unless legs a

Bassline of the week!

 I heard this song on a run today and realized what a great bass part it has.  That's Tina Weymouth from  Talking Heads' playing on "Born Under Punches."  Tina, in my opinion, is a consistently underrated bassist.  She really has such a minimalist style. This bassline does exactly what it needs to and nothing more, simple and effective.  It definitely gets bonus points for being in such a quirky time signature as well!  She also uses space and air between notes to provide extra, er, punch.   It's such a strange song frankly, with typical Talking Heads bizarre lyrics, seemingly random guitar licks and synth for that matter. Tina's part could've fallen through the cracks and her slap-and-pop style on the track helps the bass break through the mix a bit. This song is a great example of bass parts that just groove and are perfect in their simplicity.  Enjoy and thanks for reading!

Raleigh, etc.

It's hot here in Raleigh and I'm stuck in a windowless tiny office writing a technical manual. Actually I'm not writing much of anything. Sometimes the well dries up. I had a pretty bad crash last night on 286. Came through the other side of a creek crossing and front wheel washed out in some loose rocks. I may have applied to much front brake inexplicably.  Really trying to lay off the brakes more and more. Anyway, left elbow and knee are banged up and plenty of road rash. As they say, that's racing. There is a race Saturday here that I thought about entering on a lark but now I may not.