Skip to main content

September to remember

This has been a different sort of month for fitness and competition, not to mention health.  I am winding up the month battling a stomach virus and am just now getting back active after a week recovering.  I think maybe nature has a way of forcing recovery time.  I have been going at it full tilt for the entire spring and summer with not much rest to speak of so I guess this is my rest.  Expert wisdom says that I need more recovery but without a coach, it's hard to judge.  Also, it's not much fun to gain a few extra pounds but it's difficult to adjust eating habits that are so accustomed to full activity.
This month has seen me do back to back races and feel surprisingly good doing so. I never would've thought I could do a 6-hour trail run then turn around the next day and do a run-bike-run duathlon.  Progress is good.  Next I did a 100-mile bike ride in torrential rain. Wow, where did that come from? I don't know. I guess it's just proof that we are all capable of more than we think.
The past week I have been reeling from body aches and stomach maladies.  I think I picked a virus up from one of the porta-potties at the 100-miler. Either that or the buffet afterwards.   It's so strange to me to not engage in physical activity for an entire week.  Regardless, it felt rather good to rest and let my legs and knees recover.  Weight gain be damned.  On a side note, it's hard to believe that I've gained any weight at all considering how little I've eaten recently.
On the horizon is Renee's 50k at Signal Mountain, Tenn., which she may talk me into doing also. Insane! I think that if I do that race, I will emerge a changed person. But is change what I need at this time...No,  I need some stability I think.
Then I have a duathlon on October 26th and possible one on the 13th, also in Chattanooga.  There is a mountain bike race in Alabama that I am also looking on the 19th.  Also, I am looking at doing some cyclocross races but I don't even have a cyclocross bike. Wahhhhh..
So you see, I have a full schedule coming up.
After all, fall is the best time to be outdoors! Until next time...

Popular posts from this blog

The milk of human kindness isn't spoiled

Something wonderful is happening. I am being serious. For the past year or so I've been developing this sense of love and compassion for humanity.  That sounds like a really broad, general statement but it's true. I'm becoming more perceptive of others and more forgiving. I believe we're all doing the best with the hand we're given. I use these words because I don't know how else to describe this very subtle feeling. It's a swelling in the heart and a sense of well-being and contentment.  Some days it borders on joy. Sure, I still get irritated with nuisances like drivers when they tailgate me or cut me off in traffic but overall, I am developing something here. Maybe my soul is expanding. I'm beginning to feel as though I'm finally a part of the human race.  In the past, I've felt so aloof and misanthropic so this is strange for me. I can't exactly pinpoint when it began.  I wonder if it's just part of the maturation process but I hope...

Swimming Fundraiser Charity

I've created this page because I want to make a difference. I'm inspired by the work of Heifer International and wanted to support them by raising money.   I believe in supporting Heifer because I feel strongly about people being empowered.  Heifer International espouses self-sufficiency through education and sustainable animal husbandry and agricultural efforts throughout the world. Please help me help them by giving whatever you can using the 'Give Now' button. The more people that know about Heifer International, the greater their impact, so please also spread the word by sharing my page with your friends and family. Thank you in advance for your generosity, it means a lot! (Briefly about me:) Swimming is my biggest fitness-related challenge and something that does not come easy to me.  I am always amazed at how much technique, dedication and focus it take to be a good swimmer. Some days in the pool or lake are faster than others!  I am a cyclist and runner by...

Allatoona Creek trail run race report

First year doing the Allatoona Creek race. Missed it last year because I had a duathlon on the same day. This course is sneakily difficult with the most challenging being the Mason's Bridge section.  On a bike, it's easier and more fun because you can roll through all the dips but running through those is really tough.  There aren't very many climbs and no big hills but that course is a grinder.  There was a torrential rainfall a few days before the race so the first 3 miles was a mud run through open cross-country.  I really liked this part though felt I got off to a slow start.  Pacing is so difficult because I don't know how much energy I need to spare.   Feet were wet out of the gate but it was no big deal.  There's a twisted part of me that prefers adverse conditions. Went in to the singletrack section at Rusty Bucket and shuffled through twisty sections, not very fast through there.  In fact, I felt leaden the entire race. I had ran the da...