Skip to main content

Blanket's 6-hour race report

So I entered this race last minute. I had no intention of entering this year having done it the last 2 years and I've been focusing more on duathlon and triathlon.  I've also been road biking more and mountain biking hardly at all. I guess I'm burned out on trail riding and need something fresh.   A few days before the race I thought I would enter this race and it didn't hurt that my wife was goading me.  Sometimes, the mere fact that she encourages me pushes me over the top for entering races.
I arrived at the race feeling relaxed with a devil-may-care attitude. Payed my fee and set up my pit area. My tent wasn't fully operational so I had limited shade, which was unfortunate considering how blazing hot it was.
Layed down in my pit chilling to some old school hip-hop being sure to keep hydrated.  Ate some pre-race food then changed into my kit.  Still feeling relaxed but pre-race stoke was building. Can't believe I was nervous for a "C race."
Line up for the LeMans running start. Air was so thick with humidity I could hardly breathe.  Got to my bike after a short run then log-jammed at entrance to Mosquito Bite. Next came an exercise in discipline and patience as we made our way to VMT and onto VMT's first climb. I was settled in but people were chafing at the bit. I kept reminding them that this is a long race but not everyone is solo so there were peeps on teams that could afford to call all out.  I spilled trying to make a move on the inside past a few riders up to the crest of the first VMT hill. Lost 3 places but gained them back quickly. One SS guy behind me was a real chatterbox. Thankfully I got away from him for the rest of the race.   Got on to Dwelling and the madness chilled out some. Racers were spreading out finally. Finished my first lap in 43 min and some change. Didn't realize where the dismount line was so fumbled through that.  Rolled through the pits to the 2nd lap.  
Lap 2 felt some better though my back was stiffening up some. I had the sneaking dread that I was undertrained.    Seemed like hundreds of riders were passing me and they were all on geared bikes.  I don't recall seeing the 3 guys ahead of me on SS the entire race. At least they didn't lap me! I did my best to be courteous to other racers and encourage them also. Unfortunately, that sentiment is shared by some of the riders out there.  There is definitely an element of douch-baggery but in the end, what can I do about that? I can only control the way I act. I understand "it's just racing" and emotions run high.
Lap 3 and 4 blur together and I was settling into my race groove. Not going to fast, just plodding ahead like a tank on my 32-20.  I popped 2 spokes on my rear tire so it felt like I was riding on a busted fishing cage.  Need to upgrade wheelset.   Lap 5 and 6 I turned in 54 minute laps! Unreal. How did THAT happen? Last year, I came nowhere near a 54 minute lap.  I think I descended into hell then reemerged at the end of Dwelling on those 2 laps. Unreal the emotions that I was going through. I really felt like I was pushing through a huge wall every few minutes.  I knew I was undertrained but I thought I could fake my way through the race with mental resilience. That turned out to be mostly true.  I think the race course was too crowded and too short. We could definitely use more mileage with 300 racers.  Numerous geared-bike racers passed me and after awhile it just became annoying.  There were still people asking for a pass on lap 7 which was 5 hours into the race!  My last lap last year was virtually deserted, much nicer.    My second spill came after the first uphill switchback on VMT after the creek.  Had 3 beginners behind me that were a lot fresher than I was riding my tire. One dolt even rubbed my tire some. Meh whatever. I toppled trying to make the switchback and went down hard.  People were asking if I was ok.  Must've been a bad crash. I was so intent on finishing that I didn't really notice.  I was in so much pain at this point that it was all numb. My legs, front and back, had already cramped and uncramped.  My IT band muscles were doing a new rippling thing up and down my leg which was really strange. My mental game was pretty on during the race despite my irritation with numerous geared bikers wanting to pass. Guess I need to get faster still.  Also my nutrition and hydration were spot on. No complaints there.
Overall I had a good race even though my time was 22 minutes off from last year.  That is surprising considering that my speed and power output were up from last year. I'll take 4th place but would've been happier with a podium spot.
Oh, and pickle juice really helps with cramping!

On to the next!
Money shot


Popular posts from this blog

Blue Ridge Triathlon race report

First of all, huge thanks to my wife Renee for getting up with me at 4am to get ready for the race and providing pit crew and moral support! Went into my 3rd triathlon in Blue Ridge, GA pretty confident after spending this year ramping up my swim at the Aquatic Center and Open Water Swims at Lake Allatoona.  Swimming being my main limiter and  biking and running, my strengths.  I never realized just how much technique is involved with swimming and it's been a challenge to get faster in the water and to also become comfortable in open water. For this race, I knew I would have no problem with the Sprint distance: 600 yard swim, 18 mile bike, 3.2 mile run. No I don't have an expensive Tri bike with aero wheels, aero bars or aero helmet. In fact, you'd laugh at how much my race bike costs. Hey, I figure I'll build my body up first before diving in fully with the expensive gear. Rested 3 days prior and was battling a groin/adductor pull.  Hurts like crazy unless legs a

Bassline of the week!

 I heard this song on a run today and realized what a great bass part it has.  That's Tina Weymouth from  Talking Heads' playing on "Born Under Punches."  Tina, in my opinion, is a consistently underrated bassist.  She really has such a minimalist style. This bassline does exactly what it needs to and nothing more, simple and effective.  It definitely gets bonus points for being in such a quirky time signature as well!  She also uses space and air between notes to provide extra, er, punch.   It's such a strange song frankly, with typical Talking Heads bizarre lyrics, seemingly random guitar licks and synth for that matter. Tina's part could've fallen through the cracks and her slap-and-pop style on the track helps the bass break through the mix a bit. This song is a great example of bass parts that just groove and are perfect in their simplicity.  Enjoy and thanks for reading!

Raleigh, etc.

It's hot here in Raleigh and I'm stuck in a windowless tiny office writing a technical manual. Actually I'm not writing much of anything. Sometimes the well dries up. I had a pretty bad crash last night on 286. Came through the other side of a creek crossing and front wheel washed out in some loose rocks. I may have applied to much front brake inexplicably.  Really trying to lay off the brakes more and more. Anyway, left elbow and knee are banged up and plenty of road rash. As they say, that's racing. There is a race Saturday here that I thought about entering on a lark but now I may not.