Skip to main content

Week of Mope

So this has been a tough week.
My right shoulder has tendinitis from what I assume is overuse with swimming.  I injured that shoulder 4 years ago doing P90x.  I have been building up to a mile swim over the past 2 months. This should be plenty of time for my shoulder to acclimate.  Form issue? Yeah, probably.
I'm also feeling a general malaise as summer wears on and there are no races happening.  I think I need to actually be entered in a race to feel alive and viable.  I was looking at the Blue Ridge Tri on Sunday but I'm going to shelf that because I need to rest my shoulder.
Mountain biking is dubious because of the shoulder. Pretty much everything except running is out of the question.  I have full range of motion in the shoulder but it has random burn and has a dull ache.  I have tried RICE.  I am on day 5 of rest although I did run/bike on Sunday and again on Tuesday. Soooo...maybe that really wasn't rest.
All I can do to stay sane is RUN!

Popular posts from this blog

The milk of human kindness isn't spoiled

Something wonderful is happening. I am being serious. For the past year or so I've been developing this sense of love and compassion for humanity.  That sounds like a really broad, general statement but it's true. I'm becoming more perceptive of others and more forgiving. I believe we're all doing the best with the hand we're given. I use these words because I don't know how else to describe this very subtle feeling. It's a swelling in the heart and a sense of well-being and contentment.  Some days it borders on joy. Sure, I still get irritated with nuisances like drivers when they tailgate me or cut me off in traffic but overall, I am developing something here. Maybe my soul is expanding. I'm beginning to feel as though I'm finally a part of the human race.  In the past, I've felt so aloof and misanthropic so this is strange for me. I can't exactly pinpoint when it began.  I wonder if it's just part of the maturation process but I hope...
Singlespeed bike was fubar yesterday so went for long ride at Blanket's on the geared bike. That bike is such a beater. I've had that bike for almost 3 years so it's been some miles.  While I was out there I had this thought: On a geared bike, I feel like the bike   is the machine.  On a singlespeed bike, I feel like I   am the machine. I don't have to mess with gears or worry about if I'm in the right gear.  I love the way how performance is all up to me.  Like Lisa Randall says, "The singlespeed bike doesn't care if you're having a bad day." I am currently running a 32-20 ratio which is just about right for hilly cross-country.  Earlier this year, my LBS decided to put on a 32-18 setup right before a race up in hilly Tennessee. 18 is great on flats but murder on hills, at least until I get stronger.  I may switch back to an 18 before the race at Lake Hartwell at end of September because it's relatively flat over there in East Georgia.