Skip to main content

Breakthrough fitness week! 100th post! Thank you loyal readers!

Started off this week with a mind-numbing crawl at Snake Creek Gap. See my previous post for gory details. Rested on Monday and Tuesday as I was pretty beat up after Snake Creek. Wednesday met up with Lisa Randall at White for the 35-mile loop.  Lisa is a great ride partner because she's not only fast but she is fast for a long time.  I felt like I had a rocket booster on my bike that day after 2 days rest and about 7 hours of sleep. My confidence on the road bike is creeping up too. More assured.  Every ride is a learning experience. Fantastic!
Thursday swam with Lisa and Renee. Lisa offered some good pointers on freestyle technique. My swimming is slowly getting better. Just have to relax and iron out a few kinks in the stroke. Renee also discovered the joys of forward motion through water with the use of fins. She has never swam before! (She promptly ordered fins and a pull buoy and I think she is now hooked.)
Friday back out at White on another fast ride. Felt tired in legs and not sleeping well. Avg speed was 19.2 on the way out! That's a PR.  Had to dodge an oncoming cyclist. Finished the 35 mile#course in 1:55:36,another PR.  Dubious Strava says I have a PR on Cagle Hill segment which I'll take with a grain of salt.
Saturday went to Allatoona off Kellogg Creek for an OWS. There's a nice,quiet stretch of about a mile where the boats have to idle through so it's a perfect swimming and kayaking spot. My swim today was excellent although I couldn't see squat through my goggles. I felt relaxed. Took on oo much water in my head turns. Swam about 200 yards without stopping then another 1/4 mile. Stop. Another hundred yards or so to a beach. Rested there for 10 minutes then headed back. Swam 1/3 mile non-stop! Total was .66 mile in 30 minutes! This is the best and most confident I've felt in open water ever. It helps that Renee is there with me in the kayak tremendously!  I am on cloud nine about my swim today.  Continuing on with today's triathlon theme, went to Blanket's with Renee for a bike and run.  Did 2 South loops and a VMT. First South loop focused on sessioning technical stuff. South felt like a dream compared to Snake Creek.  2nd South was all about speed, at least speed on a 32-18 SS ratio. That is a monster gear but is OK for Blanket's.  Got on VMT and was kinda hating the gearing. Finally wearing down some. Back to the parking lot to put on running shoes. Managed a 1.5 mile at about a 9 minute.

Let's see...is there anything else I can do?  Oh, I didn't lift weights.

Popular posts from this blog

The milk of human kindness isn't spoiled

Something wonderful is happening. I am being serious. For the past year or so I've been developing this sense of love and compassion for humanity.  That sounds like a really broad, general statement but it's true. I'm becoming more perceptive of others and more forgiving. I believe we're all doing the best with the hand we're given. I use these words because I don't know how else to describe this very subtle feeling. It's a swelling in the heart and a sense of well-being and contentment.  Some days it borders on joy. Sure, I still get irritated with nuisances like drivers when they tailgate me or cut me off in traffic but overall, I am developing something here. Maybe my soul is expanding. I'm beginning to feel as though I'm finally a part of the human race.  In the past, I've felt so aloof and misanthropic so this is strange for me. I can't exactly pinpoint when it began.  I wonder if it's just part of the maturation process but I hope...

Swimming Fundraiser Charity

I've created this page because I want to make a difference. I'm inspired by the work of Heifer International and wanted to support them by raising money.   I believe in supporting Heifer because I feel strongly about people being empowered.  Heifer International espouses self-sufficiency through education and sustainable animal husbandry and agricultural efforts throughout the world. Please help me help them by giving whatever you can using the 'Give Now' button. The more people that know about Heifer International, the greater their impact, so please also spread the word by sharing my page with your friends and family. Thank you in advance for your generosity, it means a lot! (Briefly about me:) Swimming is my biggest fitness-related challenge and something that does not come easy to me.  I am always amazed at how much technique, dedication and focus it take to be a good swimmer. Some days in the pool or lake are faster than others!  I am a cyclist and runner by...

Allatoona Creek duathlon race report

Was surprised that the race was held after the deluge the night before.  Singletrack was sloppy so the bike portion was cut down to 1 lap instead of 2.  Run portion was dry in the the cross-country section but puddly in the singletrack. I had my characteristic slow run start and the lead pack quickly left me on the gravel road heading in to Rusty Bucket. Picked up some speed after coming out of the tight and twisty Rusty Bucket trail. Felt strong back to the first transition. Quick transition to bike after 30 seconds or so.  Practice had paid off. On to the bike leg and feeling good.  Only doing 1 lap was a disadvantage for me since my endurance is better than my speed.  About a quarter mile from in to the bike leg noticed my rear wheel was loose. This on top of severely muddy trails made me dial it back some but at least the wheel never came all the way out.  Another bike lap would've been miserable. Good sportsmanship on the trails. Back to the transit...