Skip to main content

Blanket's Creek run-bike duathlon - race report

Really enjoyed my 1st duathlon of the season although I would've hoped for a better result. I seem to do well in these multi-sport events and I enjoy their dynamic more so than a dedicated bike or run event. Renee even made a comment that I multi-task well.  This duathlon is a tough 5 mile run/11 mile bike course at Blanket's Creek.  I think I finished in about the same time this year as last year, around 1:52. (my watch stopped working mid-race) The time was good enough for 4th place AG.  I am disappointed with the result as I consider the duathlon as my bread and butter. More frustrating is that 3rd was 31 seconds ahead at the finish.  I think I was right behind the guy going in to the bike leg then he slowly pulled away from me over the next several miles.  Weird thing about racing is that you just never know who's in front of you! HA !
I was hoping for at least 3rd. Also, the top 2 guys are monsters.  I know I could've found 31 seconds out there, between my fumbling transition where I couldn't fasten my helmet strap to not being able to get in to my biking shoes ( I had left the bottom 2 straps fastened where I normally leave all 3 straps unfastened. Never try something new on race day!) , oh yeah, no problem. Granted, I need to practice my transitions more!

This is the random, unexpected stuff that happens in races.

I was battling a sick stomach heading in to the race but luckily once the race began, it settled down.  Think I had some bad Mexican a few days ago.   I only slept 4 or 5 hours last night so not feeling too fresh going in to the race.  Rested yesterday after a fairly strenuous training week.  Maybe could've used more rest.  It's such a tough thing to figure out. Am I over or under-trained? My nutrition was good leading up to the race. Honey, espresso beans, and dark chocolate almond butter for breakfast in addition to a bottle of electrolytes.  Then did a gel right before race start.  Hydration was good with electrolytes, another full bottle of water and a bottle on my bike.
Began the run around 9am and felt pretty good on the flats going to Dwelling Loop.  I'm amazed by the guys that can pull away right from the start. For me, it's a challenge knowing how hard to push and how much to save.  Duathlon is a mix between a sprint and endurance I suppose.  Hit Dwelling Loop and was feeling a little flat. My running hasn't felt as sharp as of late.  I was pegging it through Dwelling though, RPE was 8 or 9 although my pace versus last year was a few minutes slower. I'm not sure I could've gone much faster without puking.
Made it to the transition area and there was a guy standing next to my bike and he wouldn't move so I had to go around him. Precious seconds falling away.  Then I couldn't get my helmet fastened, then I couldn't get my bike shoes on!  Must practice more!  Also, it never occurred to me to remove my running shoes while fastening my helmet strap.  My nutrition intake was good. No wasted time in the transition doing nutrition. Drank once I got on the bike.  Renee says I have no sense of urgency in the transition. She's probably right.
Felt a little flat heading out on the bike.  I only had one gear so was spinning out a little on the flats heading to VMT.  Got on VMT and legs started to cramp. Calves and shins! This never happens. Had plenty of electrolytes but I think the run just taxed them overly.  Had a little pep on VMT even though I didn't quite make it up Hurl Hill.  The worst part of the bike portion is VMT and I just kept telling myself to make it through VMT and I'd be ok.  One more hike up the hill to Kevorkian. Rode well off VMT to Dwelling. On Dwelling, biked quick and well. Another guy on a singlespeed hooted at me which was encouraging and gave me a chuckle.  Finished up Dwelling strong then on to South. I faded some on South and was starting to wear down. Cramps were getting unbearable.  No bonking though and hydration still good.
Mental focus was good throughout the race and not too much negative chatter although it was a little disheartening to get passed on the bike but those guys were in different categories. At the end of the day, I can only control myself."  Focus, lean,mean,fit. Ride your pace. High cadence. Spin."
Throughout the race I was telling myself that I'd be happy with 6th even though I was really gunning for top 3.  When I finished, I was really shocked and dismayed to see that I missed 3rd place by 31 seconds.  Since 3rd did pull away from me on the bike, it would've been interesting to see how we would've battled it out on the bike course had I beat him out of the transition.  Maybe would've made for an interesting finish.

'Til next time...

Update:
2013 times: Run: 42:05 - Transition 2:17 - Bike 1:08
2012 times: Run 40:59 - Transition 2:01 - Bike 1:11

I'm so pleased to see a 3-minute faster bike time this year after a lot of hard work. Plus, I only had 1 gear this year.  Kinda mystified by the run being 2 minutes off although I did run more last winter than 2013.  Again, the transition is where I could've found my 31 seconds to take 3rd. Unreal!

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Ridge Triathlon race report

First of all, huge thanks to my wife Renee for getting up with me at 4am to get ready for the race and providing pit crew and moral support! Went into my 3rd triathlon in Blue Ridge, GA pretty confident after spending this year ramping up my swim at the Aquatic Center and Open Water Swims at Lake Allatoona.  Swimming being my main limiter and  biking and running, my strengths.  I never realized just how much technique is involved with swimming and it's been a challenge to get faster in the water and to also become comfortable in open water. For this race, I knew I would have no problem with the Sprint distance: 600 yard swim, 18 mile bike, 3.2 mile run. No I don't have an expensive Tri bike with aero wheels, aero bars or aero helmet. In fact, you'd laugh at how much my race bike costs. Hey, I figure I'll build my body up first before diving in fully with the expensive gear. Rested 3 days prior and was battling a groin/adductor pull.  Hurts like crazy unless legs a

Bassline of the week!

 I heard this song on a run today and realized what a great bass part it has.  That's Tina Weymouth from  Talking Heads' playing on "Born Under Punches."  Tina, in my opinion, is a consistently underrated bassist.  She really has such a minimalist style. This bassline does exactly what it needs to and nothing more, simple and effective.  It definitely gets bonus points for being in such a quirky time signature as well!  She also uses space and air between notes to provide extra, er, punch.   It's such a strange song frankly, with typical Talking Heads bizarre lyrics, seemingly random guitar licks and synth for that matter. Tina's part could've fallen through the cracks and her slap-and-pop style on the track helps the bass break through the mix a bit. This song is a great example of bass parts that just groove and are perfect in their simplicity.  Enjoy and thanks for reading!

Raleigh, etc.

It's hot here in Raleigh and I'm stuck in a windowless tiny office writing a technical manual. Actually I'm not writing much of anything. Sometimes the well dries up. I had a pretty bad crash last night on 286. Came through the other side of a creek crossing and front wheel washed out in some loose rocks. I may have applied to much front brake inexplicably.  Really trying to lay off the brakes more and more. Anyway, left elbow and knee are banged up and plenty of road rash. As they say, that's racing. There is a race Saturday here that I thought about entering on a lark but now I may not.