Skip to main content

River Gorge post-race recap

Went with Renee to the 10.2 River Gorge trail race at Prentice Cooper State Forest near Signal Mtn, Tennessee.  Renee had done the race last year and loved it so this year I decided to jump in.  We were promised a rainy race but luckily the rain had moved out by the time the race started.  Trail conditions were muddy however and treacherous in places.  For some reason, I decided to wear my new Merrell shoes, which are more suitable for less technical trails and road running.  I wish I had brought my Roclites today since they would've served me better on an extremely technical trail.  The only trail I can liken it to is Snake Creek Gap near Dalton,GA.  There was so much slick, leafy downhill that I felt like the trail was all downhill I was actually looking forward to the climbs because that is where I could make most of my time.  I rolled my ankle 2 weeks ago and am still treating it gingerly. I am not the strongest downhiller and today really emphasized that aspect of my running.  (I also had a root canal 2 days ago. Funzies!)

I placed myself toward the front of the starting group.  We started up a hill then turned left onto a downhill fire road where I lost a lot of time. 2 dozen people must've passed me. Also, I wish I hadn't worn my jacket but didn't know if it was going to rain more.  3 layers may have been 2 too many. Temps at the start were lower 40s I believe.  Actually slept well night before which is a rarity for me on race day.  Attitude going in to the race was, "Well, let's just see what happens. You're ankle is at 60%. Plus, I hear this is a beautiful trail with some great views. I'm not expecting much. Sub-2 hour would be fine."  The views were obscured by banks of fog but the place still has a primordial beauty.

In the first few miles, I managed to get behind 2 slow trains of folks. There was a lot of walking, which I'm not used to doing.  Unfortunately, there wasn't much room to pass either.  I finally had to pass off of the trail and left the trains behind.  Now I was out running by myself for the next several miles. This is my favorite, when it's just me and the woods and maybe an occasional glimpse of someone far ahead.   I was crushing the uphill climbs and feeling really good. I could sense that I was leaving folks behind. Plenty of water in the handheld Nathan and a Gu gel as backup.

I began to have people catch me after the 2nd aid station, right before this godawful switchback climb.  More walking! Wow, this trail is a beast.  I didn't stop at the aid stations so the same people had to pass me twice.  I started to tank a little after that climb. Legs were heavy going in to the rolling singletrack the next few miles. Really starting to labor and probably putting in a 10/min pace.

Then came the rock garden or "fruit bowl", as I heard the guys behind me call it.  Renee had warned me about this and I had seen photos but nothing could've prepared me.  The run turned in to a hike at this point. I had more people behind me so I was leading this little pack of wayward hikers. I wanted to tell them that I had no idea where I was going but didn't want to give any advantage. I had footsteps behind me what seemed like most of the race.  The rock garden seemed to last for hours and I was letting it get to me.  I was so ready to be done!

Coming out of the rock garden, we had just over a mile left of steady uphill climbing to the finish. I was really flagging by this point.  2 guys that I had been leapfrogging with finally overtook me a half-mile from the finish.  They were both laboring pretty hard so kudos to them for being able to make a move that late in the race.

Finishing time: 1:49:34

Pace: 10:45/min
70th out of 212. No age group breakdowns were given. Incidentally, 450 people registered for the race but only 212 showed up. 


I am actually pretty proud of my effort and for even showing up. Sure, there were factors here and there that could've led to a better time but we'll see what happens next year.

Renee bettered her time by 6 minutes over last year.

Thanks to Rock/Creek for a great event!




Popular posts from this blog

Blue Ridge Triathlon race report

First of all, huge thanks to my wife Renee for getting up with me at 4am to get ready for the race and providing pit crew and moral support! Went into my 3rd triathlon in Blue Ridge, GA pretty confident after spending this year ramping up my swim at the Aquatic Center and Open Water Swims at Lake Allatoona.  Swimming being my main limiter and  biking and running, my strengths.  I never realized just how much technique is involved with swimming and it's been a challenge to get faster in the water and to also become comfortable in open water. For this race, I knew I would have no problem with the Sprint distance: 600 yard swim, 18 mile bike, 3.2 mile run. No I don't have an expensive Tri bike with aero wheels, aero bars or aero helmet. In fact, you'd laugh at how much my race bike costs. Hey, I figure I'll build my body up first before diving in fully with the expensive gear. Rested 3 days prior and was battling a groin/adductor pull.  Hurts like crazy unless legs a

Bassline of the week!

 I heard this song on a run today and realized what a great bass part it has.  That's Tina Weymouth from  Talking Heads' playing on "Born Under Punches."  Tina, in my opinion, is a consistently underrated bassist.  She really has such a minimalist style. This bassline does exactly what it needs to and nothing more, simple and effective.  It definitely gets bonus points for being in such a quirky time signature as well!  She also uses space and air between notes to provide extra, er, punch.   It's such a strange song frankly, with typical Talking Heads bizarre lyrics, seemingly random guitar licks and synth for that matter. Tina's part could've fallen through the cracks and her slap-and-pop style on the track helps the bass break through the mix a bit. This song is a great example of bass parts that just groove and are perfect in their simplicity.  Enjoy and thanks for reading!

Raleigh, etc.

It's hot here in Raleigh and I'm stuck in a windowless tiny office writing a technical manual. Actually I'm not writing much of anything. Sometimes the well dries up. I had a pretty bad crash last night on 286. Came through the other side of a creek crossing and front wheel washed out in some loose rocks. I may have applied to much front brake inexplicably.  Really trying to lay off the brakes more and more. Anyway, left elbow and knee are banged up and plenty of road rash. As they say, that's racing. There is a race Saturday here that I thought about entering on a lark but now I may not.