Skip to main content

Rope Mill duathlon race report

I had a great race today and I'm really pleased with how I performed. It's really satisfying to realize that one is making progress and all the training is paying off.  It's not so much about the results today although I missed 2nd by 1 second and sure, it's a bitter pill to swallow.

I really think I excel at these multi-discipline races.  I feel more at home with them than a mountain bike race, which usually bring out the uber-elite racers.  Those same racers I would imagine don't spend much, if any, time running so a duathlon really levels the playing field.  As an example, the guy who took 1st today was a poor biker but destroyed me on the run.  I put in a 9 minute run pace and he was probably 7 or 8 minute. That was the difference.  I felt so leaden on the run. Knowing that, I can assume that not everyone is great on a bike at duathlons and go  ahead and leave them behind.  The guy who finished 1st slowed me down on the 1st bike lap but there was really no place to safely pass.  I think with more experience I will know how and when to pass in that situation.

Had an aggressive start although I saw Jim sprint off ahead on the pavement. I was surprised to finally catch him on the trail. Rope Mill is really tight and twisty in places with not much room to pass.  Having a geared bike on the start really helped me keep pace because I would've topped out on the SS.  I got behind a slow train of folks about 1/3 way in to 1st bike lap. One of the guys ultimately turned out to be 1st in Sport category.  A lot of climbing out of the saddle on 1st lap (SS strategy!). This may have burned me for the run some. Quads were really tight and heavy.  Had a really quick TA, maybe 45 seconds. Left my gloves and glasses on (clear lenses.) Beat 1st and 2nd place guys out of the TA but they caught me on the run.  Really flagged on the run which was disappointing because I felt strong on the run in training.  Did a gel and entire water flask on back third of run with a little bit of slowing as a result. Jim beat me back to the TA by a minute or so but again I was quick in the TA, maybe a minute. Jim had a 12-second lead going in to 2nd bike lap.  I wasn't sure of our positions and thought we may have been fighting for 3rd.  I felt slower on 2nd bike lap but lap time ended up being the same as 1st because I really pushed toward back half of the lap. Had to pass a guy to keep up with 2nd place (Jim) and I think he relaxed a little because I caught him right at the harrowing downhill finish and completely surprised him at the finish line, only 1 second separating us.

Overall, a great race. Really couldn't have done much better. Would like to be about 10lbs. lighter by next year and stronger on the run.  Attitude was good as was aggression level, especially as I "sensed" the sprint finish.
I talked with Jim after the race. He is a nice guy. It's nice to meet somebody in cycling that isn't a d-bag.











Popular posts from this blog

The milk of human kindness isn't spoiled

Something wonderful is happening. I am being serious. For the past year or so I've been developing this sense of love and compassion for humanity.  That sounds like a really broad, general statement but it's true. I'm becoming more perceptive of others and more forgiving. I believe we're all doing the best with the hand we're given. I use these words because I don't know how else to describe this very subtle feeling. It's a swelling in the heart and a sense of well-being and contentment.  Some days it borders on joy. Sure, I still get irritated with nuisances like drivers when they tailgate me or cut me off in traffic but overall, I am developing something here. Maybe my soul is expanding. I'm beginning to feel as though I'm finally a part of the human race.  In the past, I've felt so aloof and misanthropic so this is strange for me. I can't exactly pinpoint when it began.  I wonder if it's just part of the maturation process but I hope...

Swimming Fundraiser Charity

I've created this page because I want to make a difference. I'm inspired by the work of Heifer International and wanted to support them by raising money.   I believe in supporting Heifer because I feel strongly about people being empowered.  Heifer International espouses self-sufficiency through education and sustainable animal husbandry and agricultural efforts throughout the world. Please help me help them by giving whatever you can using the 'Give Now' button. The more people that know about Heifer International, the greater their impact, so please also spread the word by sharing my page with your friends and family. Thank you in advance for your generosity, it means a lot! (Briefly about me:) Swimming is my biggest fitness-related challenge and something that does not come easy to me.  I am always amazed at how much technique, dedication and focus it take to be a good swimmer. Some days in the pool or lake are faster than others!  I am a cyclist and runner by...

Allatoona Creek duathlon race report

Was surprised that the race was held after the deluge the night before.  Singletrack was sloppy so the bike portion was cut down to 1 lap instead of 2.  Run portion was dry in the the cross-country section but puddly in the singletrack. I had my characteristic slow run start and the lead pack quickly left me on the gravel road heading in to Rusty Bucket. Picked up some speed after coming out of the tight and twisty Rusty Bucket trail. Felt strong back to the first transition. Quick transition to bike after 30 seconds or so.  Practice had paid off. On to the bike leg and feeling good.  Only doing 1 lap was a disadvantage for me since my endurance is better than my speed.  About a quarter mile from in to the bike leg noticed my rear wheel was loose. This on top of severely muddy trails made me dial it back some but at least the wheel never came all the way out.  Another bike lap would've been miserable. Good sportsmanship on the trails. Back to the transit...