Skip to main content

The importance of galavanting

Drove with Renee up to Rome, GA last Sunday. We're always doing something active on Sundays so it was nice to do something different and relaxing.  Hadn't been to Rome in almost 3 years.  It was surreal to stop by my old apartment. It looked the same but appeared to be under new management. We then went to Broad Street and found that a lot remained the same, (Partridge Restaurant, Schroeder's) but some things had changed. No more River's Edge bar, a place we used to frequent.  We had a pleasant walk down Broad Street. Opera Alley is still creepy! We then climbed up Myrtle Hill cemetery.  No one was on Myrtle Hill besides us, that was alive.  Still a breath-taking hike up the cemetery.  Nice views as always from up there.   It was also neat to see that South Rome was renovated.  It used to be really run down. Rome was eerily deserted that day, maybe because everyone was out of town for Labor Day.  One thing that struck me was just how many times and experiences we both had in Rome and just how much character Rome has.  That being said, I wouldn't want to live there. It's a bit too insular for my tastes.  There's a lot of history and culture there, which is a stark contrast to where we currently live.  Just about everywhere we looked on Broad Street, we had a memory of that place from 15 years ago.  What was really striking was how different we both are now. People change, usually for the better.  We walked by Pullen Bicycles and I thought about how I wished I had discovered bicycles back then.
Next on to Cave Spring where we stopped for some ice cream in downtown.  It's such a charming, quaint place that I think I could spend a few days there just to decompress.   Then went over to the Rolater Park and the cave. We climbed the mountain over the cave which was really steep!  (We just can't resist a trail.)  I had been up there before but had forgotten about the water aquifer which was a huge concrete structure on top of the mountain. It was quite a workout to get up there but this only made the 60 degree cave feel even nicer once we climbed back down.  Cave was slick and foggy inside plus I don't remember a little side room off to the left being there before. Caves are cool!
Then drove down one of my favorite roads to Cedartown. I learned to drive on this road.  It is one of the most pleasant drives with pastoral views. We ate at Zorba's for lunch (spaghetti and meatballs) Delish and very filling.  Drove home through Rockmart and Cartersville. We had made one huge circle!
It was a nice, relaxing time and a great change from the norm.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Ridge Triathlon race report

First of all, huge thanks to my wife Renee for getting up with me at 4am to get ready for the race and providing pit crew and moral support! Went into my 3rd triathlon in Blue Ridge, GA pretty confident after spending this year ramping up my swim at the Aquatic Center and Open Water Swims at Lake Allatoona.  Swimming being my main limiter and  biking and running, my strengths.  I never realized just how much technique is involved with swimming and it's been a challenge to get faster in the water and to also become comfortable in open water. For this race, I knew I would have no problem with the Sprint distance: 600 yard swim, 18 mile bike, 3.2 mile run. No I don't have an expensive Tri bike with aero wheels, aero bars or aero helmet. In fact, you'd laugh at how much my race bike costs. Hey, I figure I'll build my body up first before diving in fully with the expensive gear. Rested 3 days prior and was battling a groin/adductor pull.  Hurts like crazy unless legs a

Bassline of the week!

 I heard this song on a run today and realized what a great bass part it has.  That's Tina Weymouth from  Talking Heads' playing on "Born Under Punches."  Tina, in my opinion, is a consistently underrated bassist.  She really has such a minimalist style. This bassline does exactly what it needs to and nothing more, simple and effective.  It definitely gets bonus points for being in such a quirky time signature as well!  She also uses space and air between notes to provide extra, er, punch.   It's such a strange song frankly, with typical Talking Heads bizarre lyrics, seemingly random guitar licks and synth for that matter. Tina's part could've fallen through the cracks and her slap-and-pop style on the track helps the bass break through the mix a bit. This song is a great example of bass parts that just groove and are perfect in their simplicity.  Enjoy and thanks for reading!

Raleigh, etc.

It's hot here in Raleigh and I'm stuck in a windowless tiny office writing a technical manual. Actually I'm not writing much of anything. Sometimes the well dries up. I had a pretty bad crash last night on 286. Came through the other side of a creek crossing and front wheel washed out in some loose rocks. I may have applied to much front brake inexplicably.  Really trying to lay off the brakes more and more. Anyway, left elbow and knee are banged up and plenty of road rash. As they say, that's racing. There is a race Saturday here that I thought about entering on a lark but now I may not.