Skip to main content

Race thoughts

Good:
Nutrition - ate well on the trail and at pit stops. hammer gel was huge. shot bloks , perpetuem, nuuns
Hydration - stayed well hydrated, never really became overly thirsty

Pace - about 7.9 mph according to GPS, my fastest yet for an endurance ride. Stayed mostly in first ring, 5 or 6 in back. 3rd lap did a lot of middle ring. Climbed well. No hike a bike!

Fitness - never really became to stressed cardio wise. Plenty of leg cramps though

Focus - kept mainly focused on task at hand. mind didn't wander too much. Positive internal dialog was kept up. Not too many negative thoughts

Bike handling - mostly good, aggressive through downhills and switch backs, rode with confidence despite 3 crashes

I was so glad to make the 8pm cutoff which allowed me a 5th lap. This was a huge mental hurdle for me since I missed the cutoff at the 4hr Raccoon Mtn. race last October.


Bad:
Really hurt my chances to place higher with my brain-dead LeMans start. I was last to leave! I just walked and was at the back of the pack. This simply cannot happen again. I need to be more aggressive with starts.

3 crashes! Loss of focus while trying to eat hit my bars between two trees.

Maybe a little too courteous on the trail letting people pass.

Popular posts from this blog

The milk of human kindness isn't spoiled

Something wonderful is happening. I am being serious. For the past year or so I've been developing this sense of love and compassion for humanity.  That sounds like a really broad, general statement but it's true. I'm becoming more perceptive of others and more forgiving. I believe we're all doing the best with the hand we're given. I use these words because I don't know how else to describe this very subtle feeling. It's a swelling in the heart and a sense of well-being and contentment.  Some days it borders on joy. Sure, I still get irritated with nuisances like drivers when they tailgate me or cut me off in traffic but overall, I am developing something here. Maybe my soul is expanding. I'm beginning to feel as though I'm finally a part of the human race.  In the past, I've felt so aloof and misanthropic so this is strange for me. I can't exactly pinpoint when it began.  I wonder if it's just part of the maturation process but I hope...

Allatoona Creek trail run race report

First year doing the Allatoona Creek race. Missed it last year because I had a duathlon on the same day. This course is sneakily difficult with the most challenging being the Mason's Bridge section.  On a bike, it's easier and more fun because you can roll through all the dips but running through those is really tough.  There aren't very many climbs and no big hills but that course is a grinder.  There was a torrential rainfall a few days before the race so the first 3 miles was a mud run through open cross-country.  I really liked this part though felt I got off to a slow start.  Pacing is so difficult because I don't know how much energy I need to spare.   Feet were wet out of the gate but it was no big deal.  There's a twisted part of me that prefers adverse conditions. Went in to the singletrack section at Rusty Bucket and shuffled through twisty sections, not very fast through there.  In fact, I felt leaden the entire race. I had ran the da...

Bassline of the week "Never Too Much"

I must be on an 80s R&B kick. This Luther Vandross tune has been on repeat lately.  Luther wrote the bass part and that is Marcus Miller playing.  Marcus has such a distinct, clear sound and it's been great to explore more of Marcus' music lately. This is another essential slap and pop bass example.  Plenty of space around the notes.  This song has a lot of great breaks, which only add to the funk!