Skip to main content

Blanket's haul

In preparation for the upcoming 6-hour race at Blanket's Creek, I decided to see if I could actually ride a bike for 6 hours since my previous longest was about 4 hours. I left my house at 3:30 and arrived back home around 9:15. I estimate there was about 20-30 minutes of stop time. Since I don't have a bike computer, I think my mileage was about 36-40 miles not including the 2.1 mile trip from my house to the trail and back , which was road riding.
I went on 2-hour rides on the singlespeed the 2 days prior so I wasn't exactly fresh heading out there. Today I went on my geared bike and I'm glad I did. For the first 3 hours or so I rode in the first ring at about half or 2/3 my normal speed. This took A LOT of patience as I generally like to sprint. Plowing through 2 South Loops was grueling. Met up with Steve Whittier on Dwelling which was a nice break from the grind.
Nutrition for the day was good with eating 200 calories about every 45 minutes. Clif Shot Bloks Margarita, Hammer Gels, Perpetuem, raisins, granola were all good choices.
Could've used more water and one more bottle of Endurolytes. Feet were starting to burn so I put on an extra pair of socks and was really pleased that my feet did well for the duration.
As the evening set in, the breeze of the night air was indescribably sweet out on the trail after a hard day in the sun. After I left Blanket's parking lot, I saw off in the distance over Lake Allatoona, belated fireworks.

Popular posts from this blog

The milk of human kindness isn't spoiled

Something wonderful is happening. I am being serious. For the past year or so I've been developing this sense of love and compassion for humanity.  That sounds like a really broad, general statement but it's true. I'm becoming more perceptive of others and more forgiving. I believe we're all doing the best with the hand we're given. I use these words because I don't know how else to describe this very subtle feeling. It's a swelling in the heart and a sense of well-being and contentment.  Some days it borders on joy. Sure, I still get irritated with nuisances like drivers when they tailgate me or cut me off in traffic but overall, I am developing something here. Maybe my soul is expanding. I'm beginning to feel as though I'm finally a part of the human race.  In the past, I've felt so aloof and misanthropic so this is strange for me. I can't exactly pinpoint when it began.  I wonder if it's just part of the maturation process but I hope...

Swimming Fundraiser Charity

I've created this page because I want to make a difference. I'm inspired by the work of Heifer International and wanted to support them by raising money.   I believe in supporting Heifer because I feel strongly about people being empowered.  Heifer International espouses self-sufficiency through education and sustainable animal husbandry and agricultural efforts throughout the world. Please help me help them by giving whatever you can using the 'Give Now' button. The more people that know about Heifer International, the greater their impact, so please also spread the word by sharing my page with your friends and family. Thank you in advance for your generosity, it means a lot! (Briefly about me:) Swimming is my biggest fitness-related challenge and something that does not come easy to me.  I am always amazed at how much technique, dedication and focus it take to be a good swimmer. Some days in the pool or lake are faster than others!  I am a cyclist and runner by...

Allatoona Creek duathlon race report

Was surprised that the race was held after the deluge the night before.  Singletrack was sloppy so the bike portion was cut down to 1 lap instead of 2.  Run portion was dry in the the cross-country section but puddly in the singletrack. I had my characteristic slow run start and the lead pack quickly left me on the gravel road heading in to Rusty Bucket. Picked up some speed after coming out of the tight and twisty Rusty Bucket trail. Felt strong back to the first transition. Quick transition to bike after 30 seconds or so.  Practice had paid off. On to the bike leg and feeling good.  Only doing 1 lap was a disadvantage for me since my endurance is better than my speed.  About a quarter mile from in to the bike leg noticed my rear wheel was loose. This on top of severely muddy trails made me dial it back some but at least the wheel never came all the way out.  Another bike lap would've been miserable. Good sportsmanship on the trails. Back to the transit...