Skip to main content

Pine Log WMA ride report

Pine Log WMA is a wildlife management area between White, GA and Canton, GA open to biking, hunting, and equestrian use. I had heard good things so decided to check it out. The place is really remote and has an almost primordial feel too it with barren landscapes and craggy trees where one could imagine a vulture perched upon.

I started out going counter-clockwise following this map


I spent about 90% of my ride time on fire roads, which was disappointing. I managed to find all the awful uphill trails where you could only hope to hike your bike. I'm not exactly sure if I even know which route I took. After about a 90 minutes I wound up back at the parking lot so I at least had some bearings. I think I climbed/walked Davis Trail then circled back on Grassy Hollow Rd. I imagine Davis Trail is much fun going the other way! If I had taken a right somewhere I would've gotten on Route 5 but I never saw a gate with a 5 on it. I remember passing 2 cement bridges crossing a creek on the way back.
Once back at the start, I decided to go clockwise and try to make it to the tower. I saw 2 or 3 towers off in the distance so I wasn't sure which one I was heading to. This was quite a hike on more punishing fire road with long repeated uphills. The sun was really beating down and I think it hit 90 degrees.
I took the first creek crossing to the left and more fire road/forest service road. I was supposed to be looking for a cornfield on the left, according to the map, but the only corn fields I saw were on my right. I wound up crossing a creek which provided much needed cold water to my head and feet. (Note, had bad hot foot today with the Save Our Soles Nose Art socks. Shoe straps may also have been too loose.) Apparently I had gone too far and decided to turn around after another 1/2 mile or so of fire road. I checked out the corn field which was supposed to have a singletrack offshoot and to my surprise I found it, at least what I assume is the singletrack offshoot. Knowing my luck today it could've been some other trail. I was happy to be on singletrack finally after 2.5 hours! It quickly turned in to more punishing uphill fire road. Dammit! Enough of that already. If I had been fresher, I would've kept going but decided to turn around because I knew I had a long way back. Arrived back at the parking lot at the 4 hour mark, completely exhausted.

Overall, I enjoyed Pine Log though found it frustrating not knowing my way around. I still managed to get in some good miles although a lot of time was spent hiking. It is a strangely beautiful area and I'm looking forward to getting back and making it to the radio tower.

Popular posts from this blog

The milk of human kindness isn't spoiled

Something wonderful is happening. I am being serious. For the past year or so I've been developing this sense of love and compassion for humanity.  That sounds like a really broad, general statement but it's true. I'm becoming more perceptive of others and more forgiving. I believe we're all doing the best with the hand we're given. I use these words because I don't know how else to describe this very subtle feeling. It's a swelling in the heart and a sense of well-being and contentment.  Some days it borders on joy. Sure, I still get irritated with nuisances like drivers when they tailgate me or cut me off in traffic but overall, I am developing something here. Maybe my soul is expanding. I'm beginning to feel as though I'm finally a part of the human race.  In the past, I've felt so aloof and misanthropic so this is strange for me. I can't exactly pinpoint when it began.  I wonder if it's just part of the maturation process but I hope...

Swimming Fundraiser Charity

I've created this page because I want to make a difference. I'm inspired by the work of Heifer International and wanted to support them by raising money.   I believe in supporting Heifer because I feel strongly about people being empowered.  Heifer International espouses self-sufficiency through education and sustainable animal husbandry and agricultural efforts throughout the world. Please help me help them by giving whatever you can using the 'Give Now' button. The more people that know about Heifer International, the greater their impact, so please also spread the word by sharing my page with your friends and family. Thank you in advance for your generosity, it means a lot! (Briefly about me:) Swimming is my biggest fitness-related challenge and something that does not come easy to me.  I am always amazed at how much technique, dedication and focus it take to be a good swimmer. Some days in the pool or lake are faster than others!  I am a cyclist and runner by...

Allatoona Creek duathlon race report

Was surprised that the race was held after the deluge the night before.  Singletrack was sloppy so the bike portion was cut down to 1 lap instead of 2.  Run portion was dry in the the cross-country section but puddly in the singletrack. I had my characteristic slow run start and the lead pack quickly left me on the gravel road heading in to Rusty Bucket. Picked up some speed after coming out of the tight and twisty Rusty Bucket trail. Felt strong back to the first transition. Quick transition to bike after 30 seconds or so.  Practice had paid off. On to the bike leg and feeling good.  Only doing 1 lap was a disadvantage for me since my endurance is better than my speed.  About a quarter mile from in to the bike leg noticed my rear wheel was loose. This on top of severely muddy trails made me dial it back some but at least the wheel never came all the way out.  Another bike lap would've been miserable. Good sportsmanship on the trails. Back to the transit...