Skip to main content

Mulberry Gap trip

Renee and I arrived at Mulberry Gap mountain bike getaway on Friday around 3pm. It isn't too far of a drive and we could easily do a day trip there but it was nice to get away for the weekend regardless. Settled in to our cabin which was really nice then biked up forest service road to Pinhoti 2. There is a lot of climbing here. In fact it's the most climbing I've ever seen. A lot of climbing right out of the gate on FS 90 then more climbing on FS 90 and 90B. Supposedly the elevation gains is about approximately 2000 feet on this particular leg. Finally on to Pinhoti 2 and more climbing, then one hell of a bombing descent down the rest of Pinhoti 2 and back to camp. Finished off with a huge meal of pasta and meatballs then carrot cake for dessert. I gorged! Hung out with Marsha Hauck and Lynn Daniels from Florida who are cool ladies who really dig their biking.

Slept well Friday night then woke up to a huge belgian waffle breakfast with eggs and fruit. Again, ate huge. Probably too much.
We took the girls also and they really had a great time mingling with the other dogs. Today was the epic day of biking. We were shuttled up to the top of Bear Creek. Rode down Bear Creek which was a lot of fun but there were also a lot of trees down from the recent storms. Then there was a slap in the face uphill climb on Pinhoti 1 for what seemed like miles. On to more fire road then up to Pinhoti 2 and a more comfortable downhill this time because I was more familiar with Pinhoti 2 on the second day. I was feeling frisky so once done with Pinhoti 2 downhill I turned around and went back up Pinhoti 2 about 2 miles. OUCH! Climb baby climb. The single speed was really mocking me now. Back down again and on to Curry Chicken supper.
Nice post ride/dinner campfire with Marsha and cool beers. They were out of room in the fridge so I put them in the creek for a while which helped some. "Nothing like a camp fire and a can of beans" a wise man once said.

Sunday went for big ride up Pinhoti 3. Apparently it's about 5.5 miles up and then back. Nice views at Cohutta Overlook, about 2000 feet above sea level. I was really feeling tired in my legs Sunday and just didn't have much left after climbing Pinhoti 3. The single speed stared at me silently, unforgiving but understanding.

Popular posts from this blog

The milk of human kindness isn't spoiled

Something wonderful is happening. I am being serious. For the past year or so I've been developing this sense of love and compassion for humanity.  That sounds like a really broad, general statement but it's true. I'm becoming more perceptive of others and more forgiving. I believe we're all doing the best with the hand we're given. I use these words because I don't know how else to describe this very subtle feeling. It's a swelling in the heart and a sense of well-being and contentment.  Some days it borders on joy. Sure, I still get irritated with nuisances like drivers when they tailgate me or cut me off in traffic but overall, I am developing something here. Maybe my soul is expanding. I'm beginning to feel as though I'm finally a part of the human race.  In the past, I've felt so aloof and misanthropic so this is strange for me. I can't exactly pinpoint when it began.  I wonder if it's just part of the maturation process but I hope...

Swimming Fundraiser Charity

I've created this page because I want to make a difference. I'm inspired by the work of Heifer International and wanted to support them by raising money.   I believe in supporting Heifer because I feel strongly about people being empowered.  Heifer International espouses self-sufficiency through education and sustainable animal husbandry and agricultural efforts throughout the world. Please help me help them by giving whatever you can using the 'Give Now' button. The more people that know about Heifer International, the greater their impact, so please also spread the word by sharing my page with your friends and family. Thank you in advance for your generosity, it means a lot! (Briefly about me:) Swimming is my biggest fitness-related challenge and something that does not come easy to me.  I am always amazed at how much technique, dedication and focus it take to be a good swimmer. Some days in the pool or lake are faster than others!  I am a cyclist and runner by...

Thoughts on Blanket's Crash

Past few times out on the bike my front wheel has washed out. The trail has been powdery/loose in both cases but I blame mostly my riding technique. It seems that instead of leaning, which one should do at high speed, I'm trying to turn the handlebars too much. It's discouraging because I feel my technique has advanced considerably over the past two years. I know experience is a great teacher but I can't help but feel like I'm regressing some here. Bad habits are hard to break. Common biking wisdom suggests that we crash on trails most familiar to us, perhaps because we are so casual and too loose. This one particular section I wiped out a few weeks ago on but it was more of a harmless 10-foot butt-slide that only ripped my shorts. Now I'm forced to convalesce and heal my wounds. My body probably needs a break anyway. Already looking forward to the next ride. I want the chance to ride the section smooth and fast with confidence. Until next time -J VMT crash