Skip to main content

Still Walking



Here's a thoughtful, easy-paced film about a dysfunctional Japanese family dealing with the loss of one of their sons, who died trying to rescue a swimmer fifteen years ago. The film is not overly depressing, as one would expect, but instead gives us pause to reflect on things that really matter in our lives. It's not clear if the family's dysfunction was present before or after the tragedy. There's a familiarity to the story, in that Japanese films tend to deal with death and how it affects the family rather straightforwardly and without melodrama. Such is the case in Tokyo Story by one of Japan's greatest filmmakers, Yasujiro Ozu.

Each family member is dealing with this death in their own way. The father, has shut himself off from everyone. The mother nervously chatters about the house with her daughter, perhaps not knowing how to express grief. The one most affected is the brother, who has palpable guilt and regret. He is ashamed for not becoming a doctor like his father wanted. Instead, he restores classic paintings. In one cruel scene, we see the boy whom the brother saved from drowning pay his yearly visit to the family for dinner. Pleasantries are exchanged and most everyone is cordial but we find that when the boy leaves, that mother in particular is filled with hatred toward him, somewhat understandably. She intends to have him back every year so she can make the boy feel on that one day who she feels all year.

This film is a tour-de-force in understatement, from shot composition to acting. Much is left unexpressed and unsaid in the film, like the characters it portrays. It encourages interpretation and thought on the part of the viewer. Still Walking also has wonderful "small" moments such as a butterfly at a cemetery. There are also wonderful shots of food being prepared. The camera also captures many darting glimpses and uncomfortable body language, so much left unsaid.

The director and writer, Hirokazu Koreeda, has crafted an elegy on troubled family life that may still have redemption. His characters all hope for the future but are too encumbered by their grim present. As I watched this film, I thought to myself, "I really hope this family makes it."

-J


Available from The Criterion Collection

Popular posts from this blog

The milk of human kindness isn't spoiled

Something wonderful is happening. I am being serious. For the past year or so I've been developing this sense of love and compassion for humanity.  That sounds like a really broad, general statement but it's true. I'm becoming more perceptive of others and more forgiving. I believe we're all doing the best with the hand we're given. I use these words because I don't know how else to describe this very subtle feeling. It's a swelling in the heart and a sense of well-being and contentment.  Some days it borders on joy. Sure, I still get irritated with nuisances like drivers when they tailgate me or cut me off in traffic but overall, I am developing something here. Maybe my soul is expanding. I'm beginning to feel as though I'm finally a part of the human race.  In the past, I've felt so aloof and misanthropic so this is strange for me. I can't exactly pinpoint when it began.  I wonder if it's just part of the maturation process but I hope...

Swimming Fundraiser Charity

I've created this page because I want to make a difference. I'm inspired by the work of Heifer International and wanted to support them by raising money.   I believe in supporting Heifer because I feel strongly about people being empowered.  Heifer International espouses self-sufficiency through education and sustainable animal husbandry and agricultural efforts throughout the world. Please help me help them by giving whatever you can using the 'Give Now' button. The more people that know about Heifer International, the greater their impact, so please also spread the word by sharing my page with your friends and family. Thank you in advance for your generosity, it means a lot! (Briefly about me:) Swimming is my biggest fitness-related challenge and something that does not come easy to me.  I am always amazed at how much technique, dedication and focus it take to be a good swimmer. Some days in the pool or lake are faster than others!  I am a cyclist and runner by...

Allatoona Creek duathlon race report

Was surprised that the race was held after the deluge the night before.  Singletrack was sloppy so the bike portion was cut down to 1 lap instead of 2.  Run portion was dry in the the cross-country section but puddly in the singletrack. I had my characteristic slow run start and the lead pack quickly left me on the gravel road heading in to Rusty Bucket. Picked up some speed after coming out of the tight and twisty Rusty Bucket trail. Felt strong back to the first transition. Quick transition to bike after 30 seconds or so.  Practice had paid off. On to the bike leg and feeling good.  Only doing 1 lap was a disadvantage for me since my endurance is better than my speed.  About a quarter mile from in to the bike leg noticed my rear wheel was loose. This on top of severely muddy trails made me dial it back some but at least the wheel never came all the way out.  Another bike lap would've been miserable. Good sportsmanship on the trails. Back to the transit...