Skip to main content

I went darkside





Bought a Trek 29er singlespeed today and promptly went out to Blanket's to let the bike break me in. I have been considering this purchase for about a month debating whether or not to convert my current bike to a singlespeed or just buy a new one. What attracts me to singlespeed is the simplicity of the bike and from what I've been reading, an almost zen-like experience when riding. I loved how quiet it was with no chain noise to speak of really. It is a pure bike and hopefully will deliver pure biking bliss.

Weather was threatening today so I waited in the parking lot for 15 minutes but no rain. It began raining as soon as I hit Dwelling and it was flowing streams of water down the path. Not much fun! I felt horrible for bringing my brand new bike out on its first ride and it turned out to be a slop-fest but that's life in the outdoors. I also forgot my gloves so I had a deathgrip on the bars and they were slick. I also wore my clipless shoes on flats! Ha, that was interesting in the wet conditions.

I ran Dwelling fairly strong with no dismounts but Van Michael is where I really began to see how tough this is going to be. I dismounted 4 times, twice on Kevorkian Pass. I expect there to be a lot of hike-a-bike for a while as I adjust.

Still, there is something really fun about this bike, hard to put in to words, but it's just a different ride.

Popular posts from this blog

Allatoona Creek trail run race report

First year doing the Allatoona Creek race. Missed it last year because I had a duathlon on the same day. This course is sneakily difficult with the most challenging being the Mason's Bridge section.  On a bike, it's easier and more fun because you can roll through all the dips but running through those is really tough.  There aren't very many climbs and no big hills but that course is a grinder.  There was a torrential rainfall a few days before the race so the first 3 miles was a mud run through open cross-country.  I really liked this part though felt I got off to a slow start.  Pacing is so difficult because I don't know how much energy I need to spare.   Feet were wet out of the gate but it was no big deal.  There's a twisted part of me that prefers adverse conditions. Went in to the singletrack section at Rusty Bucket and shuffled through twisty sections, not very fast through there.  In fact, I felt leaden the entire race. I had ran the da...

Solar Eclipse 2017

The solar eclipse just happened and it has me feeling cosmic and appreciative of our wondrous universe. It makes me feel pretty small and realize that most of my concerns are really trivial. I was amazed at how the quality of light changed and how the crickets began to chirp.  Not to mention the crescent-shaped lights on the ground beneath the trees.  We had a colander out viewing crescents on the patio because we had no solar glasses.  Briefly, a cloud covered the sun and we looked up for a few seconds at the eclipse.  Then some neighbors let us borrow their glasses.  They are neighbors who for some reason we have never even spoken to, but people realize this is a rare event, so it makes us more human, more kind. This is an amazing time to be alive, with my daughter just turning 1 year old and now this truly inspiring event of nature. One can't help but feel gratitude and a sense of contentment. One of my favorite Carl Sagan quotes: “The surface of the Ea...

Dilemma for bad-assery

It's been a long year of hard training and racing, both on the bike and trail running.  Mentally I feel like a need a break at this point although I trained 39 hours in November, my 2nd highest total of the year and most of those hours were of high quality. Physically, I feel pretty fresh still.  I feel as though I could just train year around but know that I need some sort of rest period for next year's race season.  My training has remained fresh in part because I attained a road bike, which I've ridden about 12 hours so far.  It's been a huge boon to my training although I still need to get a proper bike fit done to alleviate neck and knee pain. The training book I'm reading recommends to take a 2-4 week Transition period to let my body and mind recover before moving on to next year's Base phase.  Question I'm pondering is when do I begin my Transition period...I feel like I'm in a great groove right now and I'd like to build up my Lactate thresh...